[NR] New Oklahoma Tax Law and Merchants

Wed Aug 6 14:52:06 PDT 2003

After reading the law (HB 1356, sections 16 & 17), the problem isn't so much
with whether or not you have a sales tax permit, but whether allowing people
to act as vendors at an SCA event makes the SCA a "promoter" of a "special
event" under the law with all of the fees, filings and requirements due from
a "promoter".  Given the problems there are with reporting on events up the
corporate chain, I'd hate to see how big mess there would be when someone
failed to file properly with the OTC.  No offense, but the problem here
isn't your interaction with the OTC, but the SCA's interaction with the OTC.

The "special events" defined in the law are not limited to gatherings where
the primary purpose is selling merchandise and organizations like the SCA
are not listed in the exemptions, so the kingdom does need a clarification,
in writing, of how the law will be enforced from the OTC.

I think, if the autocrat made no special provisions or charges for vending,
a permitted vendor such as yourself might be able to operate lawfully
without involving the SCA.  However, in this case, I think the proper course
of action is the one being followed by the Kingdom Seneschal, no matter how
irritating we find it.

Bear