[NR] Britton Road Hancocks in OKC (Closing)

SKOSCUFKA skoscufka at aol.com
Sun Mar 25 21:56:01 PDT 2007

I work at the Hancock's in Wichita Falls (which is NOT closing) and here is the deal.  Our company is not doing well.  Our stock has dropped from $18 a share to about .90 in the last couple of years.  They are closing another 100 stores which have started liquidating.  If your  local store is on the closure list they have already started their clearance sale.  If your local store is not having a liquidation sale they are not on the list.  Hancock's filed chapter 11 last week and are in the process of restructuring and are planning to keep the remaining 200 or so stores open.  You can find out more about that on the Hancock website, HancockFabric.com, and clicking on investors at the bottom of the homepage.
One thing that you should know is that the corporate office has put a freeze on some of the ordering we do so even the stores that are staying open may run out of some basic items, temporarily, until our corporate office gets their act together again.  This looks like it will take about a month. The sad fact is that there just aren't as many people buying fabric anymore because it is often cheaper and certainly takes less time to buy clothes that are already made.   WalMart is dropping their fabric departments because they don't make their dollar per square foot minimum (or so I've been told).
I don't like buying fabric online or out of a catalog either.  It's hard to tell how something will drape without touching it and hard to know if the color is really what you want looking at it online.  So hopefully the rest of the stores will stay open.  Now go support your favorite store and buy some fabric!

Lady Helen Shiercliffe