[NR] Proposed Northern Regional Names

Kerry Pratt kpratt at sw.rr.com
Tue Feb 8 08:55:14 PST 2011

When people ask me where I am from at Gulf Wars I proudly answer Ansteorra.  Or if they wanted geographical information I will say just south of the Oklahoma border since anyone not familiar with Ansteorra won't have any SCA reference to go by.  I agree that the Northern Ansteorra has its own identity and culture but the very fact that we feel that we have our own identity and culture does not mean that we have to give up the title Ansteorra. While I don't really see anything wrong with renaming all of the regions if the kingdom as a whole wishes to do it, limiting the discussion to the northern region, which has been done by default, is not the way to go.  It will cause hurt feelings and it will imply that the northern region is looking to cede from Kingdom. If you truly want to spearhead an effort to rename the regions in period style then start the effort on the Ansteorran list and explain it as such.  If the intent is to cede from the kingdom then that should be the subject of the discussion rather than a name for the region and that should also be discussed in the open with all kingdom members able to give input rather than just those who espouse the idea.  Continuing on the path that we are currently on is bad for the kingdom as a whole.  And realize, that if you do start that "P" conversation, you are opening a can of worms that will cause massive hurt feelings and pain both within the region and within the kingdom.

Cameron
--
William Cameron deBlakstan