[NR] Results from the NORTHERN REGIONAL NAMING SURVEY

Cameron Lewis okrabbit at cox.net
Fri Jun 3 06:50:21 PDT 2011

To answer her Excellency’s question, YES please submit any names to your local Baron or Baroness or if you are not in a Barony then you may send them to me and I will add them to the list if they are a viable option (don’t have 5 syllables, aren’t a play on words, and aren’t used in a copy write that I know of)

Romance languages are not being ruled out and any translation in any language was welcomed in the process.  We spoke about translations in a meeting last fall and that is where we run into problems.  Calontir, someone remembered as meaning heartland from a song or something (maybe someone with better knowledge could help out here) and so we would not be able to register another translation of that for a region name.

I wish there was a cool sounding name that meant what everyone thinks of those of us in the region but there will not be one that everyone will like or be able to agree on.  That is part of our diversity.  Some will even call the region the North even after we choose a name for it because they wont like the name, or still like the name Northern Region.

Most of the meanings will get lost after a while it will matter to some of us while it wont to others, I has no idea of the Calontir translation or the Ansteorra translation for that matter until last year.  A large majority of people that voiced opinions in the regional meetings were much more concerned with being able to make it into a song, poem, or battle cry.

dang bards always wanting to sing songs,

in service,
Cassius Lepus
Baron of Wiesenfeuer

Is there a way to add names to this list? We really need to think about how
we are presenting ourselves with the name we choose. Have we considered the
romance languages? Something that might represent a broader spectrum of the
region? I am willing to work with finding translations, but I feel we need
to consider the picture our name gives to those who know little about us
before we tag ourselves with a name. As examples only, if we want to be the
"heartland", or the "warrior people" what would those be in different
languages? Think of the image of our people, then come up with the name that
fits the image. Who are we? What do we want the world to think of when they
hear our name? What if we don't like any of the names that were on the list?
Who do we let know that or any new ideas?

Maleah
Namron