[NR] NORTHERN REGIONAL NAMING POLL

barrett1 at cox.net barrett1 at cox.net
Tue Jun 28 12:50:40 PDT 2011

This was extremely informative and I'm thankful for the time you took to write this.
I'll give Baron Cassius some credit, though - one person researching and documentating a name for personal submission is far easier and simple than asking hundreds of people for their feedback, polling, etc, especially since a lot of the names don't pass heraldic muster, despite a majority having some research.

I'm wondering if concepts like...

Plains
Open
Meadow
Field
Horse
Hawk
Grass
Clay
Dust
Dry
...etc, should be given to a group of heraldic volunteers so that they could come to us with a list of names that they have researched, checked for conflict and spelling.
Then instead of voting on a small group of names only to have them rejected, we could go in knowing that our top choices are viable.

we might also include a list of name elements we like, stuff like...
lund/land,
mearc/marc/march,
gard/geard,
wold/woede/wood,
stuff like that, or merely state a preference for a certain language, like Latin, French, German, Norse, Old English/Saxon, Irish/Scots, Russian, Italian, Spanish, etc...