NK - Persona with an independent name

KTMC RADIO ktmc at icok.net
Sat Aug 7 18:29:33 PDT 1999

Greetings!
-------
>> If people have time, I would love stories of how you chose your names and
>> personas and which came first period or name.
>>
>> Susan
>> shamrock at intcon.net
------------------------

   I have heard some interesting items in this thread. It seems people
did a better job than I have, who am trying to link a persona with a
made-up name I like.
   I have been in the SCA three separate time periods. The past two I
have used Valstarr Hawkwind, a name I made up and liked. The first time
was in the early '80's when I used a fantasy-type name (I was into the
fantasy and sci-fi gaming thing then), and by the way, it seemed liked
there may have been more fantasy-style names then than now in the SCA.)
   Anyway, I liked the Valstarr Hawkwind name. For my mid-11th century
Viking time frame, I hearkened back to an interesting passage I used to
read concerning the time Harald Hardrada left Norway after losing a
battle (as I recall, he was quite young, and it was years before he
became the powerful king known as the Last of the Vikings.)
   As I recall, he set out in a boat with a small group. He spent time
in wide travels and experiences, including travelling through Russia,
the Varangian Guard, and service to the Empress Zoe of Constatinople.
His raiding expeditions may have went as far as North Africa. He later
left her services under something of a cloud. Later, after his return
and taking reins in Norway, he launched his bid to become ruler of
England.
   Anyway, I thought of a persona that would be one of those who
travelled with him on the journey to Constantinople, but was 'left
behind' in the falling-out with Zoe, and had to make his own way back.
   Now, I am hoping that with the help of Seigneur Etienne de St.
Amaranth, I may be able to get a name and device registered.
   Have a great evening!

   Valstarr Hawkwind