[Fwd: [Fwd: NK - RE: Navtive American Personas]]]

Hugh & Belinda Niewoehner the_burg at busprod.com
Mon Aug 9 17:17:39 PDT 1999

> > Marc Carlson wrote:
> > >
> > > <Hugh & Belinda Niewoehner wrote:>
> > Remember a number of individuals (Tecumsa) was educated at Oxford
>before returning to the "New World".
> < >
> > And *when* was this?
Memory fails me.  I thought it was mid to late 1700's.  Outside the
indians of the carribean islands, the first mainland tribes to encounter
Europeans would have been the tribes in Florida.  IIRC Castillio De San
Marcos (St. Augustine, Fl) on the eastern coast is claimed as the oldest
established european colony in NA.

Ah, here it is...

Pasted from the St. Augustine
webpage:http://www.oldcity.com/vcb/history.html

The mainland of the North American continent was first sighted by the
Spanish explorer and treasure hunter Don Juan Ponce de Leon on Easter,
March 27, 1513. He claimed the land for Spain and named it La Florida,
meaning "Land of Flowe rs". Between 1513 and 1563 the government of
Spain launched six expeditions to settle Florida, but all failed. the
French succceeded in establishing a fort and colony on the St. Johns
River in 1564 and, in doing so, threatened Spain's treasure fleets which
sailed along Florida's shoreline returning to Spain. As a result of this
incursion into Florida, King Phillip the II named Don Pedro Menendez de
Aviles, Spain's most experienced admiral, as governor of Florida,
instructing him to explore and to colonize the territory. Menendez was
also instructed to drive out any pirates or settlers of other nations,
should they be found there.

When Menendez arrived off the coast of Florida, it was August 28, 1565,
the Feast Day of St. Augustine. Eleven days later, he and his 600
soldiers and settlers came ashore at the site of the Timucuan Indian
village of Seloy with banners flying and trumpets sounding. He hastily
fortified the fledgling village and named it St. Augustine.

Utilizing brilliant military maneuvers, Menendez destroyed the French
garrison on the St. Johns River and, with the help of a hurricane, also
defeated the French fleet. With the coast of Florida firmly in Spanish
hands, he then set to work building the town, establishing missions to
the Indians for the Church, and exploring the land.

Thus, St. Augustine was founded forty-two years before the English
colony at Jamestown, Virginia, and fifty-five years before the Pilgrims
landed on Plymouth Rock in Massachusetts - making it the oldest
permanent European settlement on the North American continent.

 ------
So, 1565 just 45 years left in period.  The first NA tribes encountered
would have
been the Seminoles.

> > At one point we had a rather pleasant Cherokee lady as a member here
> > in Northkeep, and her persona was either that, or Aztec, depending on
> > her mood.

 Yes, that would be Jeremiah's Lady Kristy, what was her SCA name?

         Damon