[Fwd: [Fwd: NK - RE: Navtive American Personas]]]

Marc Carlson marc-carlson at utulsa.edu
Mon Aug 9 20:55:10 PDT 1999

Hugh & Belinda Niewoehner wrote:
>>> Remember a number of individuals (Tecumsa) was educated at Oxford
>>>before returning to the "New World".
>> And *when* was this?
> Memory fails me.  I thought it was mid to late 1700's...

That sounds about right.

>...Outside the indians of the carribean islands, the first mainland >tribes to encounter Europeans would have been the tribes in Florida...

True.

>Marcos (St. Augustine, Fl) on the eastern coast is claimed as the >oldest established european colony in NA.

This is where we may have that problem of "is Mexico in North
America":

1513 Don Juan Ponce de Leon spots Florida.
1517 Mexico discovered.
1519-21 Cortez in Mexico
1521 de Leon returns to Florida.
1539-41 De Soto in Florida, Coronado in New Mexico
1564 French at St. Johns River
1565 Menendez establishes St. Augustine.
1598 San Juan is oldest Spanish settlement in New Mexico.

>...So, 1565 just 45 years left in period.  The first NA tribes
>encountered would have been the Seminoles.

Oddly enough, probably not.  The "Seminoles" were (as I understand it)
fairly late into Florida, an assemblage of several people's (but
mostly Creek) moving south after the earlier tribes had been wiped out
by the European (de Soto's expedition, for example, introduced massive
disease epidemics into the areas he visited).

BTW, Coronado led an expedition that passed through the Oklahoma and
Texas panhandles in 1541, and were followed by de Bonilla and de
Humana in 1594, and Zadivar in 1598.  There are supposed to be relics
of these visits (including a chain shirt) in a museum in Canyon, south
of Amarillo.

(if you want citations for any of this, let me know - I'll be happy to
cough up)

>>>At one point we had a rather pleasant Cherokee lady as a member here
>>>in Northkeep, and her persona was either that, or Aztec, depending >>>on her mood.
> Yes, that would be Jeremiah's Lady Kristy, what was her SCA name?

As I recall it had a lot of letters... :(  But yes, that was her.

Marc/Diarmaid