NK - where is everybody?

Miriam Cook miriz at rocketmail.com
Mon Aug 9 14:51:37 PDT 1999

forgive how long this got....
I'd like to just put my $.02 in on this persona thing--
When I first started playing (in the East Kingdom) I
really didn't have much of a persona-- I spent a good 18
months trying to figure out what area and time I wanted to
spend the rest of my life studying. I was in luck that my
mundane name, (first, middle and last) is period. I went
by Miriam the Traveler for nearly 2 years.  And then I got
a wild hair and decided to do a big fancy persona,
Brigitte duFoix- a late period Frenchwoman.  When I
realized that I really didn't have the money to play that
kind of persona, I had to drop it like a hot rock.  I
really didn't want to, but I also didn't want to change
what I had invisioned for that "character."
So I would advise picking a place and time period that you
can get passionate about-- something you wouldn't mind
reading about, thinking about and talking about for a long
time (possibly years!).  Also, look at what you can do
mundanly-- if your vision of your persona is Norse covered
with furs, but in truth you can't handle wearing a dead
animal, you might run into conflicts. or, like in my case-
if you see velvet and silk, but the budget calls for
dollar broad cloth you may also have problems.
For the longest time I would go to events and look at all
the people there-- I'd think to myself, "I wish I could
look like that. I wish I didn't look like a newbie."  It
will take time, but after a while you will realize that
"hey, those people over there are looking at me the way I
looked at those well dressed people 5 years ago!"
>But as for where or how to come up with last
> name (s)...
I've found that "son of" "daughter of" and place names are
a  good place to start-- and are very period for may
cultures!

So please for give my rambelings....
-- In service,
Zahava batHannah

===
"I'm trying to tell you something 'bout my life.
Maybe give me insight between black and white.
But the best thing you've ever done for me
Was to help me take my life less seriously.
It's only life after all."
       ---"Closer to Fine"--- Indigo Girls

---The Suarez Family <somerled at mciworld.com> wrote:

> Some of us had NONE to drink! We're here. I am searching
the Web...yet
> again....my hubby and I are still doing research to
decide on personas. He
> is leaning towards Wales 12-1300ish I think. But then I
also think that is
> JUST cause his name was used then (Gareth) and so he can
use it. Hmph. I am
> looking pretty hard at Branwyn and Ariana as possible
first name choices if
> we go with that time frame. But as for where or how to
come up with last
> name (s)...I am clueless! Oh wait, I'm like that over
all of this stuff! =)
> I should go by "Tadpole" until I grow up some SCA-wise.
j/k LOL! So who all
> is going to the newcomers meeting??? I am still trying
to put names with