NK - Light Weapons Question

Kevin Mayfield weapons at masweapons.com
Wed Jul 14 23:42:12 PDT 1999

Being a blade merchant and dealing with not only the manufactures but
also the distributors and those who use the blades in both the Sca and
olympic styles it has come to my attintion that there have been a few
schlaggers break. They were manufactures defects and sheared upon the
first steal to steal stike. This would never have happened if the
marshals had bothered to inspect the blades at the beginning of the
bout.

The real concearn here should not be the blades but the marshals
actually doing their jobs.All rapier marshals should inspect the blades
as the combatants take the field in addition to the initial armor
inspection. I personally inspect every blade that takes the field when I
marshal because I am very safty concious and will do every thing in my
power to insure the combatants and the spectators are as safe as I can
make it.As a marshal THAT'S MY JOB.

If one what's to make an arguement about an unsafe blade then look at
the foil.The quality and the thickness of the foil has gone downhill for
the last seven to ten years.I personnaly will not use a foil unless it
is a maraging foil the same blade the pro's use they are heavily quality
controled and if the blade does not meet very exacting standards it is
broke and discarded at the manufactures.Every maraging blade is
inspected by by the FIE officials upon the completion of the temporing
process.

The only concern about th use of a schlagger is the training of the
combatant so as not to have wild sweeps of the blade. I have had many
shin bruses from those new to schlagger.This directly reflects on those
who were training them with epees as to the do's and dont's.

If those of us who play rapier do what we are suppose to do in both
marshalling and training then there should not be a concern.

Ld. Yoshiie
Cadet to Don Navarre