NK - Fwd: Life in the 1500s - interesting (fwd)

I. Marc Carlson LIB_IMC at centum.utulsa.edu
Thu May 6 09:22:39 PDT 1999

<merle at webzone.net>
>If you want to read something that is "more" accurate try
>A Compendium of Common Knowledge 1558-1604. It is intended
>for the renfaire crowd but is certainly good enough for
>the SCA. You can download it in PDF form and print it off.
>http://renaissance.dm.net/compendium/home.html

Just be warned that it's 105 pages long and really only applicable
for the 16th century English.  If you are portraying a 12th century
Russian, it's interesting, but I'm not sure it's going to be particularly
helpful.

I don't mean to sound negative, Kostia.  Yes, the Elizabethan thing is more
accurate, and thank you for pointing it out.  I can think of some people who
might find it useful if they haven't seen it already.

The problem is that "The Middle Ages" isn't one time or place where we
can say "they did it this way".  It might be more interesting if people were
to look at these sorts of things and actually look and see if they are valid
for their own personas (of course, that's why I teach that medieval mindset
class :) )

Marc/Diarmaid