NK - Boffer - longish

Rebecca M. Heydon rebecca-heydon at utulsa.edu
Tue Apr 18 07:33:47 PDT 2000

It doesn't seem to be a fundamental problem in interest on the part of
children and parents up here.  As with any form of combat, it's getting the
armor together that's the problem, though the greatest problem for YB is
getting parents to be there so the children can fight.

Oh so many moons ago when I had our first Boffer get-together, I ended up
with 11 kids who expressed interest.  To date, I have 2 who have gotten
everything together enough to participate and one of them will be 18 next
month and will then fight with the adults.  This is not a criticism, just a
statement of fact.  Several parents have been in touch with me regarding
requirements, options for materials, status reports, etc., but have not had
the opportunity to completely finish out the armor for the child so the
child can play.

I am more than willing to set up workshops for armor and/or weapons or
authorizations or whatever.  Though I have made this announcement several
times (at Populace, practices, in the Saga), I haven't had any takers.  I
would even be more than happy to do one-on-one sessions!

So, I am open to suggestions here.  I very much want this program to work
and I believe we have the interest floating around out there.  Kingdom law
is a problem and I can't do anything about that.  It may change down the
line to allow for a different type of guardianship to be used so relatives
and/or family friends can watch the child during combat.  I honestly don't
know.  Until then, however, rules are rules and I have no choice but to
enforce them. :-)

This the mini rant is over....

Rowan

At 09:03 AM 4/18/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Rowan spake:
>> I'm going to start posting to various lists about the Boffer tourney.
>> However, as I understand, we are the only group north of the Red River
>with
>> an active Boffer program.  I know that Boffer is very popular in the
>nether
>> reaches of the kingdom with 10-15 kids armoring up each practice! (I get
>> shivers just thinking about it!)
>
>wow...I didn't realize that there were some groups with that many eligible
>kids.
>
>> Anyway, Gio's advice is well-taken to take this discussion to the Northern
>> list.  I will certainly try to help anyone I can!
>
>Not that I'm not enjoying the discussion here, mind you. :)  I just thought
>that if we publicize the fact that we have kid[s] willing and wanting to
>fight boffer, it might be a good thing to talk it up in a forum where we
>might get some interest going with other families and such.
>
>Heck, there is still six weeks before the event, might even scare up some
>more Nordsteorran talent. :)
>
>Gio.

end
******
Rebecca M. Heydon
University of Tulsa
Mabee Legal Information Center
ph:  918-631-3557
fax:  918-631-2151
rebecca-heydon at utulsa.edu
"If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague."
		--Anonymous
******