NK - it is a quiet day in the neighborhood

Marc Carlson marc-carlson at utulsa.edu
Fri May 5 07:36:54 PDT 2000

At 06:50 AM 5/5/00 -0500, Maidenhair wrote:
>from what i have read there is an older golden dawn, and then there is the
>Hermetic order of the golden dawn, this is the newer one which the
>alexandrian and gardnerian traditions come off of.  The Golden Dawn itself
>is more late renasance.

Um, no.  The Gardnerian tradition, of which the Alexandrian is a further
derivation has nothing to do with any version of the Golden Dawn.  The
English order that came about in 1888 alleged to have derived grom an older
German version, of which no evidence exists.

If you are interested in this section of history, there are several really
good works out there, both on the history of the Golden Dawn and on the
origins of 20th century witchcraft.  One of the best, and the most recent,
is Ronald Hutton's _Triumph of the Moon_, which JUST came out.  I know that
both Barnes and Noble and Borders have carried it recently.  Elic Howe, _The
magicians of the Golden Dawn: a documentary history of a magical order,
1887-1923_ is also -very- good.  Nearly impossible to find these days,
and not without its flaws, but still worth reading, is Aiden Kelly's _Crafting
the Art of Magic_.

Ok, I can find a book by bishop Gottskálk, but it doesn't have those names.
 It's the _Morðbréfabæklingur_ (1592), and is only owned by the University
of Victoria library,
but I'll keep an eye out for these.

Marc (since Diarmaid's a good Catholic boy and doesn't know anything about
these things)