[Northkeep] Clarification for yesterday

Alton lePeto altonscompany at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 6 14:21:29 PST 2001

>From: "Marc Carlson" <marccarlson20 at hotmail.com>
(snip) >I thought they might be interested.  The presentation was meant
 >good naturedly and was as much a poke at myself as it was apparently
 >directed at them -- a fact that I would like to think that Alton and
 >Ainar haven't needed to have explained to them.
>Marc/Diarmaid

Diarmaid has asked that we not respond to this message, so I ask his
apologies and will respond.
Diarmaid and I have had an ongoing discussion about historical research vis
a vis authenticity for quite a number of years now.  He has been a wealth of
information and has helped me and many others in this Barony( and the rest
of the "Known World") in doing more qualitative research in general and
contributing to my enjoyment of the SCA specifically.  If you have not taken
the time to read his book on medieval shoes, please do so, it is a an
enjoyable and instructional work.  His saintly wife, Mistress Talana, has
selflessly toiled to help me and a large number of others in this Barony
toward being better at what we are supposed to be doing within this game.

So this leaves me wondering how anyone might think that Diarmaid was doing
anything other than passing along an excellent link that he thought I might
enjoy and would find "yummy" with lots of cool historically accurate stuff
to covet.

To prevent this quandary from happening again I offer this modest proposal.
Lets use this symbol [ IQ---] whenever your about to post a really humourous
or possibly complex thought on the list.
Now when you see this above symbol, if you have doubts about your ability to
comprehend or you have a history of "not getting" jokes, or the message
makes you feel dizzy, then just let it continue to go over your pointy head
and quickly delete the message.  Those of us with IQ and humor to appreciate
it will not hold it against you and it will save us those embarrassing
moments of trying to explain the joke to you.

Selah,
Alton
(email)  Altonscompany at hotmail.com
(webpage)  http://altonscompany.homestead.com