[Northkeep] July 21st Picnic

Trish Kvamme oneblondemuse at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 4 13:38:02 PDT 2001

I am writing to you on this holiday afternoon to clarify some confusion a
few people seem to be having regarding the picnic on July 21st.

We again with this post want to encourage you to always feel free to call or
write to Duncan and I, we will always respond to you as fast as time allows.

One point up front, at no time was Northkeep ever asked by us or understood
by us to be flying us up there or paying our way.  It was offered as a
possibility and we declined.

When circumstances beyond our control made it so that we would be unable to
attend the Northkeep Event of Castellan, we decided to make a special trip
outside the scheduled events we had planned to attend, to spend some quality
time with the people of the entire region, and discuss their concerns, hopes
and dreams for the North.

We tried to find a more Northern site, but this site was the only one
available that could be found, and we are grateful to all of those who
worked to make this day happen for the Region.

It takes much more courage to speak to someone directly and seek their
feelings, make eye contact, and even reach out to them in the physical sense
to hug, hold a hand, or share a meal, than it does to believe in every ugly
piece of gossip related to you, every rumor which is unsubstantiated, or
every emotionally charged person who's agenda calls for outrage and angry

We are not trying to deal with you in outrage or anger.  We are coming in
friendship, with open hearts, and although we have seen some very ungracious
posts, some very unchivilrous conduct on the lists, and some down right
ridiculous accusations, it is still our intent to come up and make time to
speak with each of you who asks for time with us.

Sir Burke's post confused us greatly.  It has been widely known and
publicized for weeks that we are coming to speak on some issues concerning
Northkeep, but in truth there are many other issues effecting the Kingdom of
Ansteorra, and we gave up this weekend (which was one of three we had for
ourselves during our entire tenure) because we care alot about the Northern
Region, and have high hopes of seeing some unity and peace come about during
our reign.

Regarding the Principality.

The Principality issue as far as we are concerned as (future) Monarchs is
the dream of some of the members of the Northern Region.

It is a worthy dream, full of hope and high ideals, but because it is not
yet the dream of the majority, and because at this time even those who are
very much for it have said it requires time to grow, we do not feel it is an
issue that needs an official discussion.  That time is for the furture, when
that dream is ready to be reality.

In truth, to see the North have such tremendous numbers of paid membership,
active Knights, Masters at Arms, Laurels, Pelicans, fighters, artisans,
newcomers and a stable populace would be a grand and beautiful thing.  But
until that time, dreams should be something held close to the heart and
shared with hope and love, care and joy, not hatred, anger and diversion.

Someday, the North may come to the Crown of Ansteorra and be ready.  Indeed
that will be a beautiful sight to then behold.

For now, and for Our reign, we have the task to be a part of the healing
process for the Northern Region.

Email is a cold thing.  You cannot see the face of the person posting.  You
cannot see the love or the hurt in their eyes, nor can you see the intent of
the person who has posted.

We ask you in this very mundane forum, to try and lay aside your fears, and
come and speak with us, share food with all of us, bring your armour, your
children, a chair for your comfort, and help us to know your hopes and
dreams for your entire region.

This will not be a town meeting.  We have some court business, and will have
a sign up sheet for private meetings.  We will make time for every person
that asks for it, and we will treat you with the kindness and courtesy that
every Lord and Lady, every human being deserves.

Please don't let others misdirect your attention.  If you have questions
before the 21st, you can always call.  Daytime calls are always welcome,
evenings until 10:00 pm.

Written by my hand this 4th of July, in hope and in love.

Larissa