[Northkeep] Sir Balvins Defence

Dennis England sirbalvin at earthlink.net
Sat May 25 08:13:41 PDT 2002

Angus,

I appreciate your support.  Spend no electronic ink defending me though.
That's my job ;-)

Diarmaid as I read that letter I found myself thinking we are not
responsible for this persons shyness or percieved slight nor do I believe
any evil Northkeep people tried to hurt this person.  It appears there were
some misunderstandings and apparently unrealistic expectations of the all to
human members of this Barony.  My response was curt, deliberately.  When I
hear someone blaming others and (what I saw as) trying to inspire guilt and
"we've been bad" response it gets me going.  Especially when I don't hear
anything deliberatly hurtful or that some small thing was made into a large
thing to satisfy an individual's view of the world.  I also got a little
defensive.  I have seen members of this Barony bust their butts to welcome
newcomers and create a space where they can learn and become part of the
group.  I don't know everyone in the Barony these days, not everyone talks
to me either, in fact i dare say if you're not a fighter I probably don't
know you.  With some exceptions of course.  That is no ones fault but my
own.  I am not going to blame these epople I don't know for not coming over
and introducing themselves to me!  That's just not the way it is.  That is
an unrealistic expectation to put on people.  I am responsible for my way of
being in the world.  And its not because I'm a peer that I don't know
everyone or people are intimidated, etc.  When I was a squire the same
things happened.  It's just how people are, they go with groups of people
who are of a like mind, they form groups based on common interest, and
sometimes they hurt one another's feelings or get their feelings hurt by
someone just because they're human beings with issues and life stories of
their own.  So all these things considered I had my own knee jerk, curt
reaction and genuinely found myself thinking "this person needs to move on
and find some other organization where they can their needs met."  I
probably should not have posted it to the list, but there you go...human.
So for public posting for of my private irritation I apologize.  I do wish
this person well and hope they have a good life in whatever they do.  Life's
to short to spend it miserable.  I will be glad to discuss this face to face
with anyone.  Just don't expect me to feel guilty for your feelings.

In Service,
Sir Balvin