[Northkeep] Honey Oatmeal Bread

LRA lra at olpdsl.net
Tue Nov 19 12:08:13 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: Amanda Blackwolf <amandablackwolf at sbcglobal.net>
To: Northkeep <northkeep at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 11:18 AM
Subject: [Northkeep] Honey Oatmeal Bread

> --
> Lynn,
>
> Again, your bread was a big hit this weekend......I have a request.....can
you please re-post the recipe, for those who missed it the first time (or
had their hard drives crash since Castallan?).

> Amanda

Okay. The recipe is following this message. I found the original recipe, but
as usual I tinkered with it until I was happier with the results. My
tinkering and my suggested notes are in parentheses along with the original
recipe.

Lynn the Inquisitive

HONEY OATMEAL BREAD
Yield: 2 loaves (I like to make it into four small loaves because it is
easier to handle and cut and serve. But two still works just as well.)
1 cup instant oats, uncooked (must be instant oats)
1 tablespoon butter (not margarine, but you can substitute olive oil instead
of butter)
2 cups hot water (it must be near boiling water)
1 package Fleischmann's Active Dry Yeast (1 package = 1 tablespoon, proof
the yeast in 1/4 cup of warm {not hot} water with 1 teaspoon sugar and stir
until all the yeast is wet and sort of dissolved. Let stand for about 5
minutes. If it bubbles up and grows to twice it's size, it's good. If it
doesn't, it's too old to rise the bread.)
2 teaspoons salt
(2 eggs -- makes the bread a much richer flavor)
About 5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
(1/4 warm water and 1 teaspoon sugar for yeast proofing as stated above)
1/3 cup honey (I like to use clover honey, but you can try other
flavors --like orange blossom --for a little different taste.)
Extra oatmeal for coating (I also mix in some brown sugar in the coating --
if you run out of oatmeal, I just roll it in brown
sugar. It makes a little sweet taste on the outside to compliment the bread,
and makes the crust a little crustier. For the two loaves, I use about 1 cup
of oatmeal and about 1/3 cup brown sugar.)
Directions
Put the oats in a large bowl. Bring 2 cups water to a boil; pour it over the
oats and let stand for at least 15 minutes (Generally longer, but don't let
the oatmeal get cold.)
Stir the yeast into 1/4 cup of warm water (and 1 teaspoon sugar) and let
stand for 5 minutes to dissolve.
Feel the oats at the bottom of the bowl to be sure they're lukewarm. Add
honey, butter, salt and yeast mixture.
Mix well. (I prefer to make it in my electric mixer, but have made even
large batches by hand.) Work in enough of the flour so that the dough can be
handled (usually about 4 1/2 to 5 cups depending on the humidity level), but
remember that the oats and honey will make this a
very sticky dough.(The dough is EXTREMELY sticky.) Turn out onto a lightly
floured surface. (Or you can still use the mixer, just on the lowest speed.
If you decide to hand kneed, as I usually do, rub your hands VERY well with
oil -- I use olive oil-- before you stick them in the dough.) Knead for a
minute or two. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
Knead until dough is elastic but still rather sticky, adding flour as
needed; don't add too much flour at a time. (Add in just enough to easily
work in the flour into the dough.)
Place dough in a (well) greased (I use olive oil) bowl (use a large bowl,
the bread will rise a lot, especially if it is quite warm) and turn the
dough to coat. Cover (with cloth -- I use cotton dish towels--, not plastic
or aluminum foil) and let rise in a warm, draft-free
place about 1 hour, or until doubled in bulk.(If the room is cool or cold,
turn on your oven to about 200-250 degrees and put the covered dough
near --NOT on-- the oven.)
Punch down dough and divide into two equal pieces (I make four pieces).
Knead each piece to
remove the large air bubbles. Do not use any flour on the kneading surface
(again use that olive oil - or as I do, just punch it down in the bowl it
was in); you want the dough to remain sticky. Form each piece into a loaf (I
make round balls, not loaves because it is easier and the dough wants to be
in that shape). Roll each loaf in additional oats (about 1 cup oats and 1/3
cup brown sugar) until completely covered. (I find the easiest way to do
this is to put the oats and brown sugar in a medium-sized bowl and mixed up
very well. Use more oats and brown sugar if you run out.) Place loaves on
lightly (that should be well greased) greased (I use olive oil) baking
sheets (If you get out your cookie sheets and splash olive oil in them
before you start punching the dough and making loaves, it is easier because
you can then get the dough, uncover it, and run your hands around the olive
oil to spread it in the pan and cover your hands at the same time) Cover the
dough loaves on the cookie sheets and let rise about 30 minutes, or until
doubled.
While dough is rising, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake loaves about 45
minutes (I usually bake about 35 minutes and then check on the bread to see
if it is too brown and how it is doing. Sometimes I put a small pan with a
little water in it in the bottom of the oven. This will make a very crusty
crust. But I did not do this at feast), or until they sound hollow when
tapped on the bottom (or the top). Remove from baking sheets (or the bread
could continue to cook on the bottom) and cool on wire racks.
Notes
Breads made with honey might darken more quickly during baking than other
breads. If the loaves start to get too dark, loosely cover them with
aluminum foil and continue baking --check about half-way through to see it
they are darkening. (Different honeys and different ovens cook differently.)