[Northkeep] Scots - Yo, Chris.

James Stenhouse man-o-wool at excite.com
Thu Oct 30 10:21:17 PST 2003

 Greetings, My name is Lord Seamus of Stanhus,  I am a clothier, merchant and sometime bard.  In the land of the Mundanes I am a professional kilt maker.  In later period(late 1500's) the Highland Scots wore the plaid or Great kilt( there are other names as well) but the Lowland Scots wore much the same things as the English, though maybe using tartan a bit more than plain cloth.  In earlier period there is no solid documentation for kilts.  Tartan, in simple forms, goes back a few thousand years.   in wearing the plaid, women wore a variation of the great kilt.  a simple dress with the plaid belted over and arranged like an overdress.  This variation is often referred to as an arisaid( pron: air-sade).  You can probably find examples of this online.  I will try to find some of the ones that I have and forward them to you.   As to declaring your clan that was often done with a plant badge, not tartan.  Registered tartan representing a clan is a fairly modern concept.  As to the plant badge that would depend on your clan.  I could not find one for either Buchanan or Scott.  though for example clan Bruce uses rosemary. As to you name, from what i understand exchanging last names is a fairly modern concept in SCA terms.  however the Scottish tendancy to use Mac for son of also uses ianan(spell?) for daughter of.  There are many a good gentle around who can help with the name.   If you have any questions for me please don't hesitate to ask. Also, you will find many people who are "experts" on kilts, including myself.  take what they say with a grain of salt. Kindest Regards, SeamusJames StenhouseJames Stenhouse Designs / Fine Quality Kilts and Custom Clothing--- On Wed 10/29, Graue, Chris < Chris.Graue at benham.com > wrote:From: Graue, Chris [mailto: Chris.Graue at benham.com]To: Northkeep at ansteorra.orgDate: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:45:37 -0600Subject: [Northkeep] ScotsI was wondering... when people think of Scots, they think "kilts"... but thekind you see most, knee-length, is more of a men's style, isn't it? Did thewomen wear the same style kilt or did they even wear their tartan in thehome at all? Trying to settle on a culture is proving to be most agrivatingfor me. Just when I think I'll go with one, I start considering another.Also, traditionally, girls are named by both their family's names (example:my grandmother's mother was Scott and her father was Buchanon, so they namedmy grandmother Lila (mother's given name) Scott Buchanon, but when shemarried my grandfather, she dropped Scot and took "B" as her middle name)...so if they are named with 2 separate clans' names, which tartan does shewear? At the Scottish games, I asked one of them and they said it didn'tmatter... but did it back in the day?Anyone with info on Scottish women's garb info, I would appreciate it... oh,and anyone with info on middle eastern women stuff, too... my options arewide open here. The lovely thing about middle eastern, say an arabiannation, would be IF i ever got a horse it would be arabian and then I couldparticipate in equestrian events and the horse would fit the persona!!! Ilove arabians! They're so beautiful... the one at Namron was gorgeouslydecorated and made me want one more than ever!Chris, the confused_______________________________________________Northkeep mailing listNorthkeep at ansteorra.orghttp://www.ansteorra.org/mailman/listinfo/northkeep