[Northkeep] Bad news from a failed holiday

Graue, Chris Chris.Graue at benham.com
Mon Jan 19 12:21:39 PST 2004

I know this is off-topic, but I thought I would write to let you all know
the kids and I are back from our attempted trip to Lake Havasu, AZ for a VW
campout this last weekend. We planned to stay in Albequerque Wednesday night
with relatives and head for Flagstaff, or perhaps go on to Lake Havasu
Thursday. Well, we got as far as a stone's throw from Amarillo, TX when our
beloved VW Bus's engine caught fire and we were forced to watch it as it
burned to the ground at the side of the highway. What a helpless feeling it
is to sit there and watch, knowing there is nothing you can do to stop it.

We managed to get most of our possessions out, except for things we kept in
cabinets that I just forgot was there, and more attached items like $500
worth of brand new tires (on 24 hours when the fire happened) and $300 worth
of stereo we had just had installed the previous week. The kids and I made
it out safely, but we are all pretty shaken up by the event, and I burned my
fingers on an ice chest that was too close to the fire and had partially
melted, much to my suprise as I grabbed it to move it away from the fire.
Many things we pulled out still got damaged when the grass caught fire and
spread towards our things. Morgan lost a few toys, barbie rollerblades and
bike helmet, Christopher lost the Sega hand-held game thing I aquired from
Susan's plunder-fest. They seem to be dealing with it all pretty well, wish
I could say the same for me.

We stayed in a hotel that night and my dad came to get us the next day.
Ironically, we were home in time to attend scribal at Sioban's, but had no
way of getting there. My mom is letting me borrow her Probe for a few days
while I try to find another car. If anyone knows of a reliable but cheap VW
of any make (beetle, bus, Jetta, Fox, Golf, Rabbit, etc...) please contact
me offlist. I also like Chevy Cavaliers, if anyone knows of one cheap but in
reliable shape. I have the 65 beetle, but it needs an engine rebuild plus a
starter and alternator that I stole off of it to get the bus running.

We probably won't be at Shoe tonight because I am just not in a sociable
mood at this time, but will see everyone at Populace next Monday.

Chris the lost