[Northkeep] Linen for fencing armor

Dawson, Lynne dawsonl at unionps.org
Thu Jan 15 13:13:36 PST 2004

You can use local linen. I used Judy linen because I knew 3 layers would
definitely work. The cost of linen can be prohibitive, so knowing how much it
was going to cost me was a factor. If I buy linen and 3 layers isn't enough,
then the cost could get beyond what I'm willing to pay for a shirt. However,
if local linen is on sale for a really good price and you like the color
selection, I'd go ahead and give it a try. It cost me $80.00 - $90.00 to make
one large man's shirt out of Judy linen and I think that included shipping.
So, if you can make a shirt out of 4 or more layers, and can actually sew all
those layers together and can make it for cheaper, go for it. The really
important thing is that it passes the punch test. I think Annaka has the
tester, if anyone needs to check a sample before they make a whole shirt.

Marta