[Northkeep] badges

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 3 12:27:16 PST 2004

>From: "Stephanie Drake" <sdrake at matrixservice.com>
>Well, I think the problem you would run into with that is conflict.  I'm
> >thinking just a horse is probably already used.....the celtic style is
>not a point >of difference, I don't think.  (Actually, I don't think you
>can register it in the >celtic style, you have to just register a horse and
>then display it in the style >you want.....)
>It can be completely different than your device, sure, but to register it,
>it will
>have to not conflict with someone else's stuff.....

The point here is whether she is ever going to want to register it as a
badge.  If she has a horse, that is visually distinct from any other horses
in the area she is most likely to attend events in, then it doesn't really
matter if it's ever been used by anyone before.  All that matters is that
people look at it and think of her.

Ok, if it's a representation of the White Horse of Effingham, some folks may
look a little weird at it, just as they might if I chose to use the Nike
trademark as an informal badge, or, say, Chris decided to use the VW logo as
an informal badge.  But you know, there's no reason I couldn't do it
(barring a law suit for trademark infringement, which is outside the SCA's
purview) -- I just couldn't register it.

It seems like people get way fussier about arms and badges than they do
about picking names, when names are far harder to change later.

Marc/Diarmaid