[Northkeep] Did I Harsh Your "Dream?"

Chris Birdwell angusmgunn at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 6 05:21:09 PDT 2007

Hmmm....there is so much to say and only so many electrons.

  I would like to address these one at a time. And personally I don't care if anyone here thinks it's a dead horse.

  FUN: This IS what this is supposed to be. If a particular individual or group of individuals is harshing on that for you, don't be in voice shot of them. It may sound naieve but it's the best way to deal with it. And at some point you may have to look someone in the eye and say "You're robbing my fun, excuse me." And walk away. It takes a bit of guts to do so, but in the end you will be much happier having parted company from said jack-ass.

  LIST: These are very funny things. If we were actually a group of people having a conversation and it continued for some time and diverged into other topics, or one opinion lead to many, no one would think anything of it. In fact, it would probably be called a good discussion. Not a real big fan of some of the email lists for this fact alone.

  ass-kissing: Hmm....just in seeing what you overheard I would be curious as to what this person considers to fall under this blanket. If I am friends with the Baron/Baroness/King/Knights/Centurions, and am see hanging out with them whne other people may or may not know that they are friends of mine, then will I be seen to be kissing ass? Probably by some who don't know any better. I learned a long time ago that other peoples opinions about the relationships between people outside of their circle are deffinitely viewed through their own personal filter. Let them eat cake. People who feel that they deserve to be where you are, instead of you, are going to have this opinion. For the most part they are wrong. It is all about perception, as is 90% of everything we think/believe.

  Court:Yes, when it is difficult to hear court can be boring. I have, myself been guilty of standing in the back of court and talking entirely to loudly. However, when a group of people with their camp behind court are holding a party from which I can only hear them, their swearing, talking, yelling, etc. I think that is very disrespectful. That is what caused myself and an autocrat to visit them during court. Now, for the flip side of this opinion, courts are never going to be loud enough, if you want to hear, it may be neccessary to secure a closer seat. As simplistic as that may sound.

  In the end it is all about what you make of it. If you listen and take to heart those in the ass-kissers are the only ones who get ahead camp, then your future bitterness will be your own doing. If however you take this thing and do your best to make it what YOU want to see it be by doing your thing and being the best example possible, then your outcome and fun level will be much better.

  These are my opinions and are gross generalizations, if anyone would like to continue this conversation in a more indepth manner, please feel free to see me in person and I would be glad to expound upon my opinions.

  Angus Gunn
Montega <montega at gmail.com> wrote:
  Alright. I am going to give an opinion here and if you don't like it,
don't read any further.

The "Dream" as we call it is understood and lived out differently by
many people. Not everyone in our vast land is going to have the same
ideas. There are some things that have been bothering me lately and I
want to voice it.

FUN: Remember that? This is supposed to be fun. People are spending a
hell of a lot of money to be in the SCA just to have some fun-suckers
kill it. If people feel like partying at night, so be it. If they
feel like going to bed at night, so be it. If they don't have a period
tent, and perfect garb that's ok, yet we still have rules lawyers
running around bitching that so-and-so can't be period for this or
that. I have news. NO one is period and I have only seen one person do
something completely period in this barony since I have been in it.

The List: I am beginning to think that Northkeep can't be
lighthearted enough to take a few jokes or even merriment. Lately,
that every time someone pops a crack at something, someone is right
there to make a huge deal of nothing. Do we not have a sense of humor?
I can understand getting all bent over something that matters but when
someone is obviously joking, get over it.

Ass-Kissing: Overheard this weekend: "Well, if you want to be a part
of the in crowd in the SCA you have to kiss a lot of ass." I don't
know about any of the rest of you but that is never going to happen as
far as I am concerned and I would hope that all people would be
treated equal. Someone must have forgotten that this is a GAME. This
is NOT the world.

Court: Boring. Sorry. Unless we wire crown for sound people are always
going to talk because they get bored. No one is punching a time clock
here. They are there to have fun and yes that means in court too.
Granted there is polite and not polite but I have NEVER been in court
where NO one sat there and didn't say a word. Even the people bitching
about other people talking have talked themselves so move on.

When I first joined this barony, someone said that Northkeep was kind
of stuck up. I refuse to believe that and I hope that some of you will
lighten up. If you didn't get it, I am here to have FUN and this is
just a GAME and I am going to play it the way I want to.

Montega