[Northkeep] another opinion

Hugh & Belinda Niewoehner burgborrendohl at valornet.com
Thu Jun 7 05:32:09 PDT 2007

Cisco Cividanes wrote:
> I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that you have read
> Baldassarre Castiglione's "The Book of the courtier". ;-)
>
> Someone really ought to suggest to the the more romantic complainers out
> their that they read...oh...I think it was the beginning of the second
> part of his book... where he is commenting about how each generation
> seems to think that the one before it was better than the one after it.
> Considering that the book was written over 400 years ago, I just think
> that that would be a gem of a thing to drop on the list.

Yeah, and they were saying the same thing in Socrates' day.  But that
doesn't mean they weren't right. :-)   I've seen the world change for
what I don't consider the better in my short lifespan.  I remember when
Captain Kirk was in trouble for giving too sensuous a kiss on the
original Star Trek, when words that children use now would have
embarrassed most men in the company of their wives.  I remember when
teachers were respected by their students, when you didn't have to lock
your doors in Tulsa (at least in most of the neighborhoods if not all)
and to hear about a murder on the news was shocking.  They carried the
story for days.  A friend from the Chicago area laughed at our newscasts
saying, "What's the big deal?   We have several murders a day."  Crime,
etc. has always been with us, I admit.  It's just seems our attitudes
have changed.  We accept it as the norm now.  I think that's sad.  My
opinion--no one says you have to agree with me.  Yes, good things have
happened as well--technology has improved, but I don't see society as
having done so.  Gene Roddenberry's universe is further away than ever.

Time for the old lady's nap now,

Ismet (who walked miles to school uphill through the snow)