[Northkeep] Exceedingly Silly

kevinkeary at aol.com kevinkeary at aol.com
Thu Aug 7 17:20:51 PDT 2008

Quoting zubeydah at northkeep.org:
>Nope, I have no idea who started the rumor...but wanted to set the
record straight.

I for one will NEVER consider this kind of B******T "silly", as in
"harmless". I remember from before. It nearly tore the then-shire
apart, and nearly got us disbanded by the kingdom. By the time enough
of us compared notes to realize the person doing most of the rumor
spreading was also the originator (a relative newcomer with 'ambition'
who apparently was a great believer in the adage 'divide and conquer')
pre-existing rivalries and conflicts had been enflamed to the point
that Northkeep's continuing as a group and a branch was in serious
jeopardy. Some of us lost offices, some of us lost friendships, either
forever or for years.

But we learned what was really going on, and the rumor-monger was cast
out. In a way, I believe that Northkeep is what it is in large part
because of him, every bit as much as because of Kendra Kenmare and
William Blackfox. For a long time after that, Northkeep, which had been
a set of three or four bickering households when Keigan and I started
here, was a single cohesive unit that would stand, fight and work
together shoulder-to-shoulder or back-to-back, against crown or
would-be corrupter, and devil take the hindmost. That strength and
unity was largely still in place in the days we worked together to earn
our elevation to barony, and in my mind it is STILL a vital part of our
culture.

The person who mentioned the rumor to Zubeydah is to be commended, as
is the person who confirmed it. In this case it was a rumor that didn't
reflect on honor in any way, but not all rumors are like that. But I
will say this still. Northkeepers don't gossip about each other behind
the others' backs, don't tell stories they haven't checked out. We GO
TO THE PEOPLE IN THE STORY AND FIND OUT THE TRUTH. Because we are who
we are, and we remember when the whole Knowne Worlde was against us,
and we stood as one and survived.

May we never forget.

Kevin