[Northkeep] sheesh WAS: "Put out that bloody cigare..." *

Hugh & Belinda Niewoehner burgborrendohl at valornet.com
Sat May 9 12:18:15 PDT 2009

Probably shouldn't get involved in this discussion, but my two
farthings, shillings, whatever:

Belinda and Hugh Niewoehner have never owned slaves...will never own
slaves and none of their ancestors back until the 1700's (as far as we
can determine) owned slaves.  Of course, we condemn the institution
(even though it still occurs in some parts of the world today).

However, Ismet's family owned many slaves.  Damon's family (and he,
himself later) owned thralls.  It was the Middle Ages (you know that
thing we're recreating) and it was PC then.  Damon happens to know a
gentleman in Three Rivers whose persona is a slave trader.  He's also
black and proudly so.  Many of you have been entertained when Damon and
others have sung the song he wrote...Zorab's Song.

Yes, the SCA is a modern organization, but the 'slaves, thralls,
whatever' that are auctioned are no more really enslaved than the King,
Baron, Knight, etc.  has any real authority other than what we give them
in the game.  If you don't like the game, you can always go home.

As to California
> (Bear in mind that we are governed by a corporation seated in Marin County,
> California.  Look that up on Google Earth.  Notice where it is.  And ask
> yourself how charitably people there might view a bunch of Midwesterners
> playing at slave-games).

the most fun I had in my teenage years was when I was auctioned as a
slave at the Roman banquet in Ridgecrest, California.  The event was put
on every year by the :Latin club and the other language departments.  If
you were a first year language student you were a slave (couldn't give
anyone orders and had to obey nobles and gods), second year students
were freeman (only gods could give you orders, but you couldn't order
anyone else around), third year were nobility (could order slaves
around) and then the fourth year were gods (ordered anyone around).
There were limits of course set by the faculty.  Worse thing I ever saw
was a slave made to push a grape across the floor with his nose.  But
then there were the fun things like being ordered to pour a glass of
water on a noble and then being sent by that noble back to do the same
to the one who'd sent me originally.  Yeah, I know, it probably doesn't
happen even in Ridgecrest anymore because someone probably abused
something at some time.

Life's too short.  I'm tired of walking on eggshells.  I think the press
has enough epidemics and political nonsense to keep them busy without
harassing us.

By the way, is Mercedes' raffle still on?  I have a few items.

Ismet