[Northkeep] "Put out that bloody cigare..." *

Miles Grey Kahn at West-Point.org
Sun May 10 11:03:02 PDT 2009

Peter Schorn wrote:

> (Bear in mind that we are governed by a corporation seated in Marin
> County, California.  Look that up on Google Earth.  Notice where it is.
> And ask yourself how charitably people there might view a bunch of
> Midwesterners playing at slave-games).

Two things (both intended in humorous vein)
1:  We're not Midwesterners.  I don't doubt that Californians can't tell
the, but *we* should be able to get that one right.  When I lived in
Kansas, most Kansans insisted that they weren't part of the Midwest
either, even though most dictionaries and the US Census Bureau say that
they are.  Oklahoma isn't part of that region mostly because we had to
remain a territory just long enough to become the topic of a musical with
songs about surreys, territory folk, Kansas City, and, of course, the
wind.

2: Californians and slave games?  You've got to be kidding!  Have you seen
the pictures from some of the *public* parades they have out there?
Leather, whips, chains, bondage, all out there prancing down the public
thoroughfare in front of huge crowds . . . definitely enough to make an
Oklahoman blush.

  Miles Grey