[Northkeep] Advice needed

Jean Paul de Sens jeanpauldesens at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 07:10:23 PST 2010

Facon, the short answer is (IMO) that they are all pretty good.  We own a
TomTom, and Gilyan got a Garmin from her work.  As long as you are
consistant about updating the maps on a regular basis they'll usually
perform the same.  Tom Tom's got a better selection of voices IMO, but the
Garmin has better power behavior (it turns on automatically when we start
the vehicle, while the TomTom doesn't).  Both can connect Bluetooth to your
phone to be used as a hands-free, and both can be purchased with Traffic
advisory services that will alert you to hold ups in the traffic on your
route.  The TomTom tends to overestimate the time it takes to get a
location, while the Garmin get's is pretty spot on.  I suspect that that
Garmin has better speed limit data on it's map than the TomTom.

The only factor I can give that differs really between the vendors is where
they get their map data.  Garmin get's it's data from Navteq, while Tom Tom
get's it from Tele-Atlas.  Gilyan works for Navteq, so if you find something
wrong on a map, you can tell her, and she can get it fixed.  That's
definitely a perq, but it won't become useful for 6 months to a year for the
data to work it's way through the system.

JP

Qui mieux fait, mieux vault.