[Northkeep] My thanks and gratitude

Jerry & Teresa j.t.herring at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 2 16:29:04 PST 2011

Greetings All,
Having just returned from the wilds of Calontir and my ancestral homeland
where my grandfather was laid to rest with much grace and honor  I felt I
should post a missive here.  To each of you who offered your condolence
please know that I carried your sentiments to my father and uncles and they
were very thankful.

During the visitation an American flag and shadow box displaying Grandpa's
medals was present as well as a table full of wooden items and pictures of
him at work in his sawmill...I must tell you that when the processional of
automobiles topped the hill next the cemetery there were many a tear and
lump in throat...there in a line were five silver haired men bedecked in
their caps medals and patches displayed dressed in their flight jackets, all
members of the Army Air Corp from the local American Legion. These men held
rifles at parade rest and along the grave side an honor guard from the
National Guard of Missouri Funerary Division. My grandfather was honored
with a final call of taps, a twenty-one gun salute, and the family was
presented an American flag and commemorative coin and the thanks of a
grateful nation.

A deacon from a local church who is a fellow farmer and long time family
friend led the service, he spoke about how the first Church of Christ raised
in the town of Meadville MO where I am from was made from timbers cut in my
grandfathers saw mill. The deacon told about how he had never in all his
years known a man stronger than my grandfather and he said not that he would
suggest my grandfather ever did anything illegal but that everyone knew
about his passion for a certain kind of fishing...My grandfather was a
notorious hand fisherman or noodler if you prefer. My grandfather was
noodleling long before the state of Missouri decided to pass laws about it.
The tales opened the floor for an informal portion where tales of
remembrance from others were told.  There were tears and laughs and for me
it was one of the very best ceremonies I think I have ever seen.

So I will end this missive and say that your condolences and words all
helped me to be kind and strong enough to aid my family through this
difficult time and for your words, support, and friendship I do most
sincerely thank you all.

Most humbly
Ian