[Northkeep] OK, here is a Lenten question...maybe Talana?

Anawyn at aol.com Anawyn at aol.com
Fri Mar 11 12:24:44 PST 2011

Ah-h...now I can sleep! Guess now I need to find something fresh to worry
about if I wake up early again! :)

Thanks
Anawyn

In a message dated 3/11/2011 1:05:11 P.M. Central Standard Time,
talana1 at hotmail.com writes:

We're not looking at beaucoups of battery hens in a modern  hatching
facility - we're talking about what a household/manor/poulterer  supplier could
afford to raise.  Also, hens lay fewer eggs in winter, and  increase
production as spring comes on and the days get longer.  In  modern egg facilities,
the lights are kept on twenty-four hours a day to fool  the hens into
producing more eggs.  So during the winter and early in  Lent, the hens weren't
going at it great guns.

And don't forget,  Sundays and certain feast days were exempt from Lenten
traditions.  If  you will recall, last year St. Patrick's Day fell on on Ash
Wednesday - talk  about a train wreck?  Catholic Bishops in Irish and
Irish-descent  parishes from Australia to the U.S. petitioned the Pope for a
fasting  exemption for that day.

Beer, of course, is ok to consume on fast  days.

As for making a living during lent in the middle ages, they did  what we do
- save up during the flush times to make it through the lean  times.

Talana

> From: Anawyn at aol.com
> Date: Fri,  11 Mar 2011 12:03:24 -0500
> To: northkeep at lists.ansteorra.org
>  Subject: Re: [Northkeep] OK, here is a Lenten question...maybe Talana?
>
> I know, I know, but we are talking 40 days here. 40 days! Cows are
milked
> twice a day, and I just can't picture storing that many eggs.  And how do
> they make a living for those 40 days? Maybe there is  something written
during
> the Lenten period in the Middle Ages that  would shed some light on
> particulars?
>
>  WorryingNeedlesslyAboutTrivialMatters
>
> Anawyn
>

> In a message dated 3/11/2011 10:28:36 A.M. Central Standard  Time,
> talana1 at hotmail.com writes:
>

> Lent  usually corresponds with the time when lambs and calves are
dropping,
>  so they'll take care of some of the dairy production. For the surplus
>  milk, you would be making cheese and butter, for later consumption or
sale.
> Abstaining from eggs means chicks hatch, replenishing your flocks.  And
> gathered eggs need not rot - there are methods for preserving  them, such
as
> dipping them in isinglass, or coating them with lard or  wax. Even kept
in
> your refrigerator, eggs purchased fresh at the  beginning of Lent will be
> usable at Easter.
>
> In  servicio,
>

> Talana
>
> > From:  Anawyn at aol.com
> > Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 10:37:12 -0500
> >  To: northkeep at ansteorra.org
> > Subject: [Northkeep] OK, here is a  Lenten question...maybe Talana?
> >
> > We know the  restrictions placed on diet during Lent in the Middle
Ages,
> > such  as no eggs, dairy products, meat, etc. So...what did they do with
> all  of
> > the continuing accumulation of foodstuffs? I mean, for those  living on
> > farm they HAD to milk the cows each day, that could  not be neglected.
> The
> > eggs would pile up and rot, so  those would have to be gathered too. I
> would
> > think that  wasting or throwing away food would certainly be considered
> an
> > "ungodly" activity, not to mention the loss of income for those  who
> depended
> > on selling their various comestibles for a  living.
> >
> > See, this is what happens to your train of  thoughts when you wake up
and
> > can't go back to sleep. I suppose  worrying about the past beats the
> aspect of
> > worrying  about the future in some ways. Now I just made myself hungry
> for
> > an omelette...:->
> >
> > Anawyn
> > Northkeep  mailing list