[Northkeep] OK, here is a Lenten question...maybe Talana?

Jennifer Carlson talana1 at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 11 12:42:55 PST 2011

Well, you could stoke your insomnia by mulling over the unfairness that butter, tallow and lard, the chief cooking fats of Northern Europe, were forbidden in Lent, but olive oil was OK, so the gosh-darn Italians got to keep stuffing their faces with fried foods while those not in olive-growing regions had to go no-fat for forty days.  And of course the Pope, being Italian (with only a couple of legitimate execptions and that whole Avignon nonsense), wasn't about to tell his countrymen not to use olive oil.

Harumph.

Talana