[Northkeep] OK, here is a Lenten question...maybe Talana?

Kathryn Helstrom kiamichikate at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 12:17:22 PDT 2011

In the "no scales" rule, would shrimp, crab, and mussels be OK, then?
English meals sometimes included lamprey, which I believe is a fresh water
eel; is that creature's anatomy spineless?  And, didn't one of the Henrys
die of improperly prepared lamprey?

Franziska

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 8:16 AM, Dana Schuman <annais60 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  I am finding this conversation fascinating and highly entertaining.
>
> Here are a few items of note regarding the differences of the Eastern and
> Western Christian Churches:
>
> 1.  Wine and olive oil is still a "no-no" on most days for Eastern Orthodox
> Christians during Lent.  The exception being Sundays and other days where
> the
> Literagy is celebrated with communion.  Since wine and olive oil were
> traditionally stored in animal skins, this makes sense.  After the schism
> in
> the 1060's, the See of Rome changed many things, this is just one of them.
> Any
> other type of vegatable oil is acceptable.
>
> 2.  Anything with scales and/or a backbone (or from those types of
> creatures) is
> off-limits during Lent for the Eastern Orthodox.  No chicken, no fish, cow,
> no
> goat, no pig, etc.  So it was pretty much a "California" diet, all fruits
> and
> nuts.    This year, like most, there are only two days that fish is allowed
> during Lent, The Feast of the Annuciation (Friday, March 25) and Palm
> Sunday
> (Sunday, April 17)
>
> 3.  Insects don't have scales or backbones, so they are fair game.  Ergo,
> the
> "Wandering the Desert" diet of locusts and honey.  Mmmm, yum!
>
> 4.  St. John Chrysostom reminds Christians that Lent just isn't about
> fasting
> with food during Lent, but they should fast will all the senses, mind,
> body, and
> spirit.  The eyes should not look with lust or desire, the ears should not
> hear
> ill of others, the mouth should not speak with curses or disparity, the
> body and
> mind should refrain from anything that would harm others or ourselves with
> thoughts or deeds, and Christians should make peace with our enemies and
> truly
> focus on acting according to Jesus' techings in the scriptures.
>
> 5.  Following the Great Lenten Fast really makes you think about what you
> are
> eating and can really stretch your imagination when grocery shopping or
> eating
> out.
>

> Annais

Remember this: that there is a proper dignity and proportion to be observed
in the performance of every act of life.  --Marcus Aurelius