[Northkeep] OK, here is a Lenten question...maybe Talana?

Jennifer Carlson talana1 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 15 12:32:14 PDT 2011

Lampreys are vertebrates.  Most species are freshwater critters.  Eels are of two disctinct varieties, ocean eels and river eels; but even the river eels spend a period of time in the ocean, then swim upstream to live out their lives in fresh water.  During that transition, they are called "elvers," and jellied elvers is a Cockney delicacy (if you can call it that) to this day.

Henry I of England died of a surfeit of eels.  That's a fancy way of saying he died from eating too much eel. I always thought that was stupid, until the first time I tried smoked eel at a sushi restaurant and fell in love.  It is delicious.  It is also extremely rich.  I could easily have eaten enough to make myself sick.  Lady Sabine from Mooneschadowe made a Lenten fish tart for Kingdom A&S last year.  Since butter, eggs, and milk could not be used in it, almond milk provided creaminess, and eel provided the fat content.

If you're looking at kosher food rules, a fish must have gills, scales, and fins in order to be permitted.  That means no lampreys, eels, catfish, oysters, clams, shrimp, etc.  For Orthodox (and which Orthodox are we talking about - ancient, modern, Eastern, Greek, Russian?) purposes, I don't know if crustaceans, mollusks, or scaleless ichthyoids are permitted.

Talana