[Northkeep] Halloween

facon at cox.net facon at cox.net
Tue Oct 11 12:03:19 PDT 2011

My understanding is that Halloween as we know it is actually the merging
of several different cultures(mummies from egypt, witches from britan,
scary masks from mexico, demons gargoyles from ancient cathedrals,
etc......), from several different holidays (day of the dead from
mexico, celtic druidic practices, etc.....)from all accross the world
which over time merged into a single holiday that we celebrate today.
It is a testament to the merging of societies coming together in a
single holiday.  I celebrate it for this reason and some of more
personal nature which I do not feel are relevant to the discussion.  I
think personally that it is more important to look at the unity of the
holiday rather than the differences, how can you define a holiday that
comes from so many different cultures.

Maybe it would help in our search for the finding the beginning of
Halloween if we where to start trying to finding the origins of the
smaller parts that make up the whole.

Just my two cents,

Facon