[Northkeep] Halloween

Kathryn Helstrom kiamichikate at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 14:26:31 PDT 2011

When I was in North Africa in October of 1985, there were some RAF
(British) pilots staying at the same hotel as us Americans, and we decided
to costume it up and have a Halloween Party down at poolside on the night of
the 31st.  When we showed up in our homemade costumes (hotel sheets were
never the same after that night), most of the French and Africans were
clueless about the Halloween tradition.  We spent more of the night
explaining the party to the rest of the folks at the outdoor bar than I
would have ever imagined.  Truly, they were not even aware of the Halloween
celebration.

Franziska

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 2:03 PM, <facon at cox.net> wrote:

> My understanding is that Halloween as we know it is actually the merging of
> several different cultures(mummies from egypt, witches from britan, scary
> masks from mexico, demons gargoyles from ancient cathedrals, etc......),
> from several different holidays (day of the dead from mexico, celtic druidic
> practices, etc.....)from all accross the world which over time merged into a
> single holiday that we celebrate today. It is a testament to the merging of
> societies coming together in a single holiday.  I celebrate it for this
> reason and some of more personal nature which I do not feel are relevant to
> the discussion.  I think personally that it is more important to look at the
> unity of the holiday rather than the differences, how can you define a
> holiday that comes from so many different cultures.
>
> Maybe it would help in our search for the finding the beginning of
> Halloween if we where to start trying to finding the origins of the smaller
> parts that make up the whole.
>
> Just my two cents,
>
> Facon

Remember this: that there is a proper dignity and proportion to be observed
in the performance of every act of life.  --Marcus Aurelius