[Northkeep] Halloween

Hugh & Belinda Niewoehner BurgBorrendohl at valornet.com
Tue Oct 11 15:15:09 PDT 2011

Interesting site, don't know how accurate they are, but it deals with
customs of Halloween or All Saints Day, etc. or their close equivalents
around the world.  For Example:

*Halloween Around the World:
Halloween in Germany*

In Germany people put their knives away. This is done as they do not
want to risk hurting the returning spirits.

In the regions of Bavaria and Austria in Southern Germany, Catholics
celebrate the entire period between October 30 and November 8 as
*Seleenwoche* or Alls Souls' Week.

On All Saints' Day Catholics attend church services in honor of the
saints, the martyrs and those who have died for the Catholic faith.
People may also visit their family's graves to beautify them with
wreaths and small lanterns. Sometimes a mass is said at the gravesite
and the grave sprinkled with holy water.

On November 2 or All Souls' Day, Catholics attend a special Requiem
masses, where they remember those who may be close to them that have
died. Prayers for the dead are said and votive candles are lit to honor
their memory.

Site:  http://www.jackolanterns.net/traditions.htm