[Northkeep] question 3

Michael Coone felemid.macphail at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 07:35:37 PST 2012

cool ... i have been a black smith for 20 years now ... have earned many
smithing titles ...

bright smith ... Jeweler
tinner ... Maker of boxes and pans
copper ... Copper worker (mostly feast gear type stuff .. silver ware,
turned cups and plates )
plumber .... metal casting ... (worked with lead pewter and other soft
casting metals )
Armor smith .... makes metal and leather armor ... duh
blade smith .... i have a rule about this ... must be willing to learn to
use weapon before making them ..meaning forged swords ...must show you are
swordsman  ... ground sword to hang on wall that is up to you ....but would
not use it in combat ever .....)
tinker ... made clockwork locks and latches ...

i do not shoe horses .. the only real black smith trade skill that still
makes good money .... but i am crazy like that ...

i am working out details on shop space now  and setting it up ... so i can
run forge and foundry... i do ask if you want to learn and make
something.... you pay for fuel and materials ....i can give ball park
numbers for a lot of projects ... and if you just want to learn i have
scrap metals to play with ... but you are limited to what is in the scap
box... a days worth of coal for forge is about 7 bucks ...   also there are
things people toss out that are great for other items .... lawn mower
blades are great steel for knives .... leaf springs from old trucks and
trailers make great stock for sword blades .... old files and broken tools
can be turned into new tools or scrap for learning on ....round or square
stock bars sold at most hardware stores is good to start on too... for
about 4 to 8 bucks a rod ... 3/8 to 1/2 thickness is good and does not
matter hot or cold rolled .... because you are putting it in a forge and
then hitting it with hammer ... so go with cheaper one .... normally cold
rolled .... and do not try and learn on costly metals ... like brass or
stainless steel ... better to start mild steel or copper to learn how to
use forge ......

SAFETY is biggest problem in and around forge .....
the short list is
Fire is hot
metal is hot
Metal is sharp ...
Metal is heavy ...

will go over safety rules before letting anyone work in shop .... if you
want to work you will need safety glasses ... and leather work gloves .. do
not get the thick welding gloves makes it hard to hold the metal (any all
leather work gloves are fine)... other safety gear is optional ... leather
welding apron  or sleeves ... and if you like your toes ....steel toed
boots ... will let people in if have on shoes that do not show any part of
foot .... but no sandals , flip flops, or open toed ...  paper dust mask
are nice to have ... i plan on keeping a box of them in shop ... if you
want to bring your own not a problem...  i have everyone that works sign a
safety agreement and if you break the rules 3 times or do something that
hurts anyone by you breaking rule you will loose shop access .. a forge
gets hot enough to completely destroy DNA .. so it is not a simple burn ...
and foundries can get even hotter ... and 2 lb hammer swung with normal
swing can deliver over 400 psi .....walking into will do damage ...

last but not least if you are not sure what tool is  or what it is used for
ask ... i spent 5 hours turning a hammer into raising hammer ... polished
so no tool marks went into project from it...  then my 7 year old picked it
3 min later walked over and hit a brick with 3 or 4  times and i spent
another hour removing scratches ....

Felemid MacPhail
MKA Mike Coone ...