[Northkeep] Missing Practice.

Jerry Herring jherring68 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 14:25:21 PST 2014

I don't want to start a food fight but I attended a class not that long ago
at a Winterkingdom on period recipes of modern dishes and it had examples
of the same foods made from period recipes and modern ones. Surprisingly
moulded pans and shaped dishes for baking cakes were a pretty big deal for
feasts, especially for some holidays. Cakes could be sweet but you are
right they may not have been the sickeningly sweet treats we have today but
still were sweet. And Pies...(don't get me started) could be sweet or
savory, whether they were fruit and berry or meats. Mincemeat pies were
fairly common as were many other dessert pies some were more like tarts
than what we in the USA consider a pie today. Some pies were custards and
some were sweetened by honey, molasses, or the natural sweetness of the
fruit, and yes even sugar which was in Europe in the 16th century,
Marshmallows date back to the 15th century and marzipan to the 16th not the
same stuff we have today either but still sweet goodness to the period
pallet.

Kindly
Ian