[Northkeep] Missing Practice.

Hugh & Belinda Niewoehner BurgBorrendohl at valornet.com
Fri Jan 31 06:37:55 PST 2014

Hmmm....so far I've found a Digby's recipe for cheese cake
[http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/desserts.html#10] and a recipe for
K'ak (biscotti) from a 13th century Andalusian book. Of course, in
al-Andalus we had so many sweet choices, one of my favorites being
sharbat (sweetened fruit drinks over snow). Candied fruits, ginger and
even squash were common. Unfortunately, baklava is a creation of the
Ottomans though many similar foods existed such as: gullac-an early
Turkish phyllo dough recipe in which layers are put in warmed milk and
sugar served with walnuts and pomegranate and the Byzantine gastris--an
ancient Greek recipe which had a nut and honey filling, but the outer
shell was ground sesame and honey, more closely resembling halva.

In reference to His Excellency's mention of marzipan, a 13th century
Andalusian cookbook has a couple of recipes for it:

http://daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Andalusian/andalusian9.htm#Heading428

Also, when my husband was doing research for his wine making he found
sources showing that sugar had been present in the South of France
(probably traded with Spain) much earlier than originally believed.

OF course,/in my opinion/, even today, most Europeans do not seem to
like their sweets as sweet as we Americans generally do. French
pastries, German cakes, etc. for the most part are less sweet than their
American counterparts.

Ismet