[Northkeep] Event Report: War of the Lilies Re: lillie War

Hugh & Belinda Niewoehner BurgBorrendohl at valornet.com
Mon Jul 7 20:38:16 PDT 2014

Your Grace,

Duncan was knighted on the war field at the front gate of the fort Wed.
before the days battle began.   T'was a beautiful sight with the Viking
boat Fyrdaca in the background.

And once knighted, Duncan reprized the role of Olav Tryygavson and we
Norsemen savaged the Anglo Saxons although the odds were much closer
than they were at Maldon.

For everyone on the list who has thought about attending Lilies: The
weather of war week was excellent.  Most days were in the 80's with a
good wind blowing up through Thursday.  Thursday there was forecast
potentially severe storms but all we saw was 20 minutes of rain and a
lot of noise to the north.   Friday was rough as it went into the 90's
and the wind was less than 3 mph. even on open ground.   That evening at
the Three Rivers' party there was tons of food, beer, ale, mead, and
again an outstanding fireworks show.  Two of the major merchants had
personal emergencies in the weeks immediately prior to the war but it
was still a good marketing event.  Gerald Goodwine continues to build
and add things to the Great Machine (A provably period, dog powered
tread wheel about 7' in diameter).  The Bronze foundry has built a
building to match Gerald's so during the war it is like a small medieval
craft village.

There are three or more battles a day starting at 10 a.m.  There was cut
and thrust almost every day between the battles and the afternoon
tourney.  They had three torchlight tourneys.  One day they held what I
understand to have been the first known world Cut and Thrust Melee at
the fort.

The number of classes offered was incredible.   Ismet and our niece,
Audrey, will have to report on those as I only made it to two all week
including a class in reading Old Norse.  I don't know the teacher but
his language skills are remarkable.  If I remember correctly he speaks
at a minimum German, French, Swedish, Icelandic, and Old Norse.  He
taught us the pronunciation of the alphabet and the class read part of a
saga together.

Their Graces Jean-Paul and Jillian were out at their usual location on
the Anvil of God along with a small host from Moonshadowe and a few
other Ansteorrans.  Kale and Winfryth camped in a small hollow they said
was rather private and comfortable.

Look toward next summer folks.  If you can make it for even the last
weekend, Lilies is a lot of fun.

Hesir ])amon Hroarsson,  The Baron Borrendöhl