[Northkeep] Donations to assist SCA corporate

Seneschal of Northkeep seneschal at northkeep.ansteorra.org
Tue Aug 11 07:59:05 PDT 2020

Hello Gang, I'm forwarding the following message from Martel:
This is a suggestion I would like to offer to the officers of the Barony.
The TL;DR version is. Since our local groups have wisely budgeted and saved
for a rainy day, could and should Northkeep lead the way in donating a
substantial amount, my suggestion is $1000, of our funds to save SCA
corporate rather than rely on individuals to donate in the current times of
need?
By now I am sure most of you have seen message from the SCA board of
Directors. If not, here is a link to the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdmPfECeur8
<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DbdmPfECeur8%26fbclid%3DIwAR1XatNDChB6I6_acDdvTXZhJxfWNVkPrqNDLa2L80aTGMQPGYZyweTa25U&h=AT2T046drKXTI6UhE6HuDP3crl6r-gmk9Y2CeiHG9Vs13rnVRMxlAEgPK_WtdqmYeZnZuExdWmVk2q2uJ-wU3CexHaT69kQYPLidWCXnzrfyEV0kovGSdIzy8xYzr-nsRbFeAFyszJmMnMDibg&__tn__=-UK-R&c[0]=AT3ko-iwneRfs93X-WhrGlVmB3Vk5pgKD6uj9saUB77IhaKZbfO-msd7N32Ai4SkHbsXaYHIIa4OKER82bRfBuYAGgedwUkIrizsRCD8v5U8-yXHBiv-h3h2vNnWInomlKyavwEslKnuiYfKs-T5AlTyCh43cDy_ARsUsil_uWnR-td2dYPZ974FEAh3tPWRFVWzK38okoDt1iZd>
If you would like more reference material this is a link to the 2020 budget
for the SCA.
https://www.sca.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/2020Budget.pdf?fbclid=IwAR2ohhc1uh5cTIjea84bRuN-xAq1uEUycMkkl9TlEdahjJmhm1IC29-GPvE
<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sca.org%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2020%2F05%2F2020Budget.pdf%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR0_VONebETpPPJ7QRZBP1UgFZHcKndP6GvWT1YVJMyVw0V0sawfmBv2nD8&h=AT2x64hU3PzqPpHHcCx9RxSpbTZwU8H84UoCVFVQcDap38ktQVXJH2wueYlyZDAnIotgJ4TEEVMKKRCOI-gv3rFjRDPnH4jB0VpY44Qpcv91MNrf5o8KANlsqwLiPD9zDCtT2Xz97DWO7oOx-g&__tn__=-UK-R&c[0]=AT3ko-iwneRfs93X-WhrGlVmB3Vk5pgKD6uj9saUB77IhaKZbfO-msd7N32Ai4SkHbsXaYHIIa4OKER82bRfBuYAGgedwUkIrizsRCD8v5U8-yXHBiv-h3h2vNnWInomlKyavwEslKnuiYfKs-T5AlTyCh43cDy_ARsUsil_uWnR-td2dYPZ974FEAh3tPWRFVWzK38okoDt1iZd>
>From a cursory look, it seems like membership fees are a problem, but also
the insurance cost of having events with no events happening, and the non
member surcharge paid at events is a major loss of income.
The budget shortfall of over 700,000 dollars. Even if folk were to pay the
$45 fee, it would take more than 17,000 memberships to close the gap.
However, we already have a precedent set that when the SCA as an
organization needed to raise money for a settlement, that local groups used
the funds they had stored up to save the organization. I feel like we are
once more in a position where the society could use our help.
If Northkeep and the other local groups, were to donate what they could
without falling below the required funds we need to save for our own lean
years I feel certain it would be a far more meaningful amount of money than
individuals will be able to donate in the current financial climate.

--
In service,
Lord Matthew MacGilleFhaolâin