[Northkeep] Kings College 5/7-5/9/21

Joanna Morton joalin99 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 30 17:17:47 PDT 2021

Kings College classes will be presented on Zoom, for all the information go to the FB Event at https://www.facebook.com/events/471844927520234

If you aren't on Facebook, there is no website, but I am posting the classes below. Please let me know what you are interested in and I will try to get the Zoom link for you!

Friday Night:
6:00 PM

Track 1
SCA Armory Conflict Rules - Historical Examples Presentation of the SCA's Rules on Armory Uniqueness with illustrations based on the historical heraldic records of England produced in the Middle Ages. Students should depart with a better understanding of these rules and a catalog of ways to address ¡°conflict¡± when submitted armory is not ¡°unique¡±.
Teacher: Tostig Logiosophia. Class length: 2 hours. No restrictions
Track 2
Medieval Style Jewelry 101 or How to Bling Your Garb Medievally (without breaking your wallet) This class is about process of making Medieval Style jewelry for yourself using materials that would have been used in the Medieval and Renaissance Periods without excessive cost today.
Teacher: Caitilin inghean Ronain ui Cheallaigh Class length: 2 hours. Restrictions: 18+.  Limit: 50

Saturday
9:00 AM - 10:00 AM

Track 1: Subtleties.
Culinary Art in Food.
Teacher: Sosha Lyon's O'Rourke. Class Length: 1 hour. No restrictions.
Track 2: Crecy, Agincourt, and the Other One: Separating Myth From Evidence.
Everyone knows about England's three great victories of the 100 Years War. But how much of what we know is actually backed up by evidence and how much is down to national mythology, Anglophone education, and outright propaganda. This class will compare the traditional narratives to evidence, often newly brought to light for the battles of Crecy, Poitier, and Agincourt.
Teacher: Etienne de Montagu Class length: 2 hours. Restrictions: 13+.
Track 3 Aztec Languages 101: Classical Nahuatl
Come and learn about Classical Nahuatl, the primary language of the Mexica in the Aztec capital, Tenochtitlan, and the lingua franca of the empire and Mesoamerica during the European exploration of the New World. We¡¯ll breakdown a bit of the history, key features of the language, and some basic vocabulary. There will be some simple demonstrations and sample conversations, too!
Teacher: Tenochcacuicatl Delmar. Class length: 1 hour. No restrictions.
Track 4 Hnefatafl: The Game of the Vikings
Brief history on Hnefatafl, and then how to play the game.
Teacher: Hrafn Olafsson. Class length: 1 hour. Restrictions: 13+. Limit: 12.
Track 5 DEI Terms
What does being triggered actually mean? What are some examples of everyday microaggressions? What is privilege? ¡­ and much more.  It's impossible to work together towards a common goal without first speaking the same language. In this season, I would like to discuss words and expressions that come up a lot when discussing building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive community, what they mean, and how they are used (both correctly and incorrectly)
Teacher: Castellana de Andalucia. Class length: 1 hour. No restrictions. Class will be taught 2 times during King's College.
Track 6 Middle Eastern Drumming for Dancers
History and examples of the 5 basic middle eastern rhythms. Finding your place in a drum circle and adding layers to the rhythm. Changing rhythms as a group and taking cues from dancers.
Teacher: Sean Tabor. Class length: 1 hour. Restrictions: 13+  with Adult
Track 7 Heraldic vector graphics for print and media.
An introductory class to create heraldry using open source software course will also discuss configuring for print on demand services such as zazzle.
Teacher: Goldweard. Class length: 1 hour. No restrictions.
Saturday
10:10 am - 11:10 am
Track 1 Coffee roasting and coffee houses.
Coffee houses weren't just the Starbucks in period. Entertainment, sedition and food could be had. Come learn what happened in the buildings and with the roaming street vendors.
Teacher: Sosha Lyon's O'Rourke. Class length: 1 hour. No restrictions.
Track 3 The SCA and the Hidden Treasures of Knowledge
This class is a presentation and discussion of the hidden resources and possibilities of finding Knowledge of the Arts and Sciences of the past. I am going to take you on a journey to discover new well springs of Knowledge without leaving your home or comfortable armchair. Come with me and discover gems of the past.
Teacher: Caitilin inghean Ronain ui Cheallaigh. Class length: 1 hour. Restrictions: 18+
Track 4 The Royal Game of Ur
Brian & Elena show you how to play the Royal Game of Ur and briefly review the history of this ancient game. Variations of the game will also be discussed.
Teachers: Brian O'hUilliam & Elena Wyth. Class length: 1 hour. No restrictions.
Track 5 The "New World" in the SCA: Creating Accessibility and an Inviting Atmosphere for Non-Eurasian Personas and Cultures
With distinct actions such as updating the SCA Mission Statement to reflect the expansion of scope and play beyond Western Europe, the Society as a whole has been moving in a more positive direction in regard to the acceptance of Non-European cultures. However, creating a welcoming environment goes beyond merely allowing others to adopt non-European names and taking novel interest in New World A&S projects. True accessibly involves earnest discussion and active work to make others feel as if they are fellow members of the Society and not simply tolerated.
In this discussion, we will be talking about ways the that we all can work together to create an SCA environment that is inclusive towards New World personas and indigenous cultures at all levels of the Society, from kingdom all the way down to our daily interpersonal interactions. This includes addressing topics such as DEI (Diversity, Equity, and Inclusivity) initiatives, meaningful support and engagement, emotional labor, and acceptance beyond novelty for non-Eurasian personas and cultures. By having these open and earnest discussion, my hope is that we as a Society will continue to improve and make it easier for future members who pursue New World and indigenous passions to live the Dream just like everyone else." Teacher: Tenochcacuicatl Delmar. Class length: 1 hour. No restrictions.
Track 6 Grounds of the Renaissance
"No, I¡¯m not talking about coffee grounds or ground beef. I am referring to ground bass; also known in Elizabethan England as Grounds; the musical basis for a lot of the instrumental music of the Renaissance and later periods. In this class, you can learn about how grounds are distinct from other bass parts in period, how were they used in period music and what different kinds of grounds were used during the late period. I hope to see you there."
Teacher: Robin Carrot. Class length: 1 hour. No restrictions.
Track 7 SCA site/Road Heraldry
This will be a 2 hour, 'nuts and bolts', breakdown on why, and how to both do, and coordinate site heraldry at small and large events alike. If you are an aspiring herald, a regular event autocrat, or even a Seneschal or group herald, this class will have information for you. Teacher: Ivo Blackhawk. Class length: 2 hours. No restrictions.
Saturday:
11:20 - 12:20
Track 1 Roman small foods
Small finger foods in Roman times. Stuffed eggs to fried cheese balls. Come taste the flavor!
Teacher: Sosha Lyon's O'Rourke. Class length: 1 hour. No restrictions.
Track 2 Mammen Viking Designs
Learn about the design of Viking era motifs in the Mammen Style. We will discuss design elements and composition. Bring drawing supplies if you would like to draw along.
Teacher: Micolay Haiduk. Class length: 1 hour. No restrictions.
Track 4 Playing Morris Games: 9 Men's & More!
Learn how to play 9 Men's Morris as well as several variations on the historical game. Historical content and easy ways to make your own games will be discussed.
Teacher: Brian O'hUilliam. Class length: 1 hour. No restrictions.
Track 5 Disabled Musicians in Medieval Europe: Case Studies and Lessons for Our Modern Times
Disability across the spectra can provide a barrier to musicianship, especially since approaches to pedagogy and performance are not fully accommodating and have even been increasingly scrutinized for their possible role in the declining health of musicians. However, these attitudes regarding what disabled musicians can and cannot do may not have been the norm in Medieval Europe and there is evidence to suggest that even with less developed medical knowledge, open acceptance of disabled musicians did occur. By studying documented evidence of disabled musicians as well as those who were known to have suffered from illness both known and unknown, we can perhaps glean a bit of insight as to how disabled musicians were historically accepted and apply that wisdom to the increasingly complex health problems that we are seeing within our mundane musicians and performers.
Teacher: Tenochcacuicatl Delmar. Class length: 1 hour. No restrictions.
Track 6 Intro to the Plucked Psaltery
The plucked psaltery/lap harp is a very accessible and historically appropriate instrument for all musical levels. We will go over the basics on what you need to get started, mechanics of playing, and how to add medieval style harmonies. Open to everybody.
Teacher: Ysabel de Picard. Class length: 1 hour. No restrictions.

Saturday
1:00 - 2:00
Track 1 ¡®Divine Beads, Beads from the Paradise¡¯ - introduction to historical fragrant jewelry
Fragrant jewelry made of aromatics appeared quite early though it is hard to find extant artefacts because of their fragility. We will visit ancient Rome, early Islamic caliphates, medieval China and Renaissance Italy to have a look at recreated fragrant beads and pomanders. This class will not be recorded.
Teacher: D¨²g¨± J¨¬n¨¢n. Class length: 1 hour. No restrictions.
Track 2 In the Shadow of Vesuvius: An Introduction to Pompeii and the Bay of Naples
This class introduces the geology, archaeology, and art of Pompeii and other Roman cities of the Bay of Naples destroyed by the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in 79 CE.
Teacher: Lucina Minerva Romano. Class length: 2 hours. No restrictions.
Track 3 Intro to Tapestry Weaving
Several techniques for weaving shapes, patterns, and figures will be covered.
Teacher: Serena Calandra. Class length: 1 hour. No restrictions.
Track 4 Burgundy gone Dutch; Burgundian illumination in the 1490s. How to paint in the Burgundian style as influenced by the Dutch, Basic shooting techniques and how to choose the right technique for your illumination.
Teacher: Linden. Class length: 1 hour. No restrictions.
Track 5 Consent Culture
Let¡¯s discuss how we can normalize the practice of asking for consent AND respecting whatever answer is given. We all should want to work for a community that affirms and values each individual¡¯s autonomy and boundaries. Consent is basic respect. But asking for consent is skill that needs to be learned and practiced everyday with everyone about everything.
Teacher: Castellana de Andalucia. Class length: 1 hour. No restrictions.
Track 6 Intro to Musician/Performer Health in the SCA ¨C Vocal and Instrumental
"This class addresses the various health and pedagogical concerns that may arise when performing in the SCA, both in vocal and instrumental settings, from the perspectives of a researcher who works in Musician Health mundanely. Topics covered will include personal health habits, environmental factors, ergonomics vs authenticity, and how to have conversations with your healthcare provider about any concerns you may have.
DISCLAIMER: THIS CLASS IS INTENDED TO RAISE AWARENESS OF ISSUES, NOT TO BE A REPLACEMENT FOR MEDICAL COUNSEL BY A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL"
Teacher: Tenochcacuicatl Delmar. Class length: 2 hours. No restrictions.
Track 7 Tracing Heraldic Art in Clip Studio (Demo)
This demo will be an informal introduction to tracing digital heraldic art. The techniques will be applicable to similar art programs (e.g. Photoshop, Gimp) with both tablet and mouse. I hope to get through several examples from historical rolls, so format will be similar to a livestream with ongoing Q&A and discussion. Drop by and see how I make art!
Teacher: Elionora inghean U¨ª Cheallaigh. Class length: 2 hours. No restrictions.

Saturday
2:10 - 3:10
Track 1 Formal Instruction at Sparring Practice
This class will introduce a lesson planning and class scheduling system for adding a segment of formal, structured instruction to a local fighter practice.
Teacher: Maelgwyn Dda. Class length: 1 hour. No restrictions.
Track 3 Patterning Houppelandes
A survey of Houppelandes from the late 14th century to variants such as the Burgundian gown in the mid 15th century. Several styles of patterning will be looked at.
Teacher: Barbara Santangelo da Vignola. Class length: 2 hours. Restrictions: 8+ with Adult.
Track 4 Carolingian Miniscule history and writing
We will briefly cover the historical context of Carolingian Minuscule and how it became Europe's first "standardized" script. We will also learn to write many of the letters of the Carolingian script.
Teacher: Ian the Green. Class length: 1 hour. Restrictions: 13+.
Track 5 DEI Terms (repeat of morning session)
What does being triggered actually mean? What are some examples of everyday microaggressions? What is privilege? ¡­ and much more.  It's impossible to work together towards a common goal without first speaking the same language. In this season, I would like to discuss words and expressions that come up a lot when discussing building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive community, what they mean, and how they are used (both correctly and incorrectly)
Teacher: Castellana de Andalucia. Class length: 1 hour. No restrictions.

Saturday
3:20 - 4:20
Track 1 A Complete Newbie's Introduction to Lampworking
Have you ever been curious about lampworking? Been fascinated by the sight of bright colors combining with fire to make shiny baubles? Then this class is for you. I'll be covering safety, organization, setup, and resources - with a quick demonstration of some of the basics. Lampwork is an artform that comes with a price - you can create awesome works of beauty, but glass and fire are always trying to hurt you. This class will cover some of the painful lessons - both physical and mental! - that I have learned over my experiments with lampworking.
Teacher: Zubeydah al-Badawiyyah. Class length: 1 hour. Restrictions: 18+. Limit: 6
Track 2 Kingdom A&S - De-Mystifying the Judging Sheets
This class is to answer questions you may have about entering Kingdom A&S and the dreaded judging sheets. We will go over each portion in-depth, and you can ask me questions about the process. Teacher: Czina Angielczyka. Class length: 2 hours. No restrictions.
Track 4 Nalbinding for beginners (Olso Stitch)
Learn a little bit about Nalbinding and how to do the Olso stitch. I will be teaching the Olso stitch in the round and how to join a new threads.
Teacher: Eadwyn seo Gathyrde. Class length: 1 hour. No restrictions.
Track 5 DEI for Heralds
A discussion of ways heralds can operate while keeping diversity, equity, and inclusion in mind.
Teacher: Elena Wyth. Class length: 1 hour. No restrictions.
Track 6 Virtually Anything About the Recorder
"Scope: This is a beginning/intermediate recorder class that will focus on learning about the recorder and getting to know it better. You do not need to be able to read music or have a recorder but if you have one keep it close just in case.
I. We will talk about the history of the recorder because we are the SCA after all
II. How to choose a new instrument and how to take care of it
III. Basics of making a good sound and techniques
IV. Motivating tacos
V. Learning to read print music and helpful links"
Teacher: Delphina de Champeaux. Class length: 2 hours. Restrictions: 13+  with Adult
Track 7 Introduction to Ansteorra.
If you are new to the SCA, or a recent transplant to the kingdom, this class is intended to give you a working overview of the royal and administrative arms of the kingdom, helping to inform you on the resources available to help you further your dream.
Teacher: Ivo Blackhawk. Class length: 2 hours. No restrictions.

Saturday
4:30 - 5:30
Track 1 14th Century Hoods: An Overview
14th century hoods are fun and diverse. Join Lady Margot as she beguiles the class with her love and knowledge of hoods. The student should walk away with a better understanding and appreciation for 14th century hoods.
Teacher: Margot de la Marche. Class length: 1 hour. No restrictions.
Track 3 Electronic Patterning for Double-Faced Weaving
Tutorial on using different computer programs to create patterns for double faced weaving. This will not be a class on how to weave with that technique and knowing it is not required.
Teacher: Muirenn Chernaig. Class length: 1 hour. Restrictions: 13+  with Adult
Track 5 Are you ready to Bransles?!
We will learn some basic steps and choreographies of bransles as documented by the 16th century dance master Thoinot Arbeau. Teacher: Myfanwy ferch Eifion. Class length: 1 hour. No restrictions.

Sunday
11:00 - 12:00
Track 1 Creating your own positive arts experience
Do you panic at KAS? Are you frustrated with the process of competition? Do you have artist block? Do you have mental health issues you have to navigate? Learn how to not trigger your doubt and imposter syndrome. Learn how to come away from competition with a more positive experience.
Teacher: Biatrichi Canzionari. Class length: 1 hour. Restrictions: 18+
Track 2 Improving armour shapes
We'll talk about how to understand and create more complex and intricate shapes in steel, why you should care about them and what tools you'll need.
Teacher: Gaston de Clermont. Class length: 1 hour. Restrictions: 13+
Track 3 The (Very) Basics of Vocal Care for Bards, Heralds, and Other Loud People
"This class is an introduction to the mechanics of vocal performance including but not limited to barding, heralding, and simply talking. We will be covering the basics of vocal production, factors that can affect the voice, and a few warm-ups that one can (and should) do before and between performances and events that involve heavy use of the voice. If you would like to participate in the warm-ups, it is suggested that you bring ONE straw and TWO cups of water. It is also suggested (though not required) that you have previously taken the Intro to Musician/Performer Health in the SCA ¨C Vocal and Instrumental Class before this class.
DISCLAIMER: THIS CLASS IS INTENDED TO RAISE AWARENESS OF ISSUES, NOT TO BE A REPLACEMENT FOR MEDICAL COUNSEL BY A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL"
Teacher: Tenochcacuicatl Delmar. Class length: 1 hour. No restrictions.

Sunday
1:00 - 2:00
Track 1 Ikebana Japanese Flower Arranging
Ikebana is the ancient Japanese art of flower arranging. The practice of using flowers as offerings in temples originated in the seventh century with Buddhism. The formalized version of Ikebana began under the Muromachi period around the 15th or 16th century. We will study flower arranging using the Sogetsu School which teaches anyone can enjoy Ikebana anytime. Using flowers, we create beauty with our own feelings. Join us to experience this joy of creation!
Teacher: Marie da Estrela. Class length: 1 hour. Restrictions: 13+
Track 2 Making metalworking tools - stamping
"We will be going through the complete process of shaping, hardening and tempering a metal stamping tool. This same technique can be used to craft chasing and repousse tools.
I am looking into a way to distribute supplies to students before the class as well as a list of tools needed to allow students to play along with the home game."
Teacher: Haraldr Bassi. Class length: 2 hours. No restrictions.
Track 3 Bardic War Practice "Are you ready for WAR?!? (Or do you need more information?).
Come hone your performance, work out that sweet spot to set up your microphone, practice your timing, and ask your questions!
This family-friendly session is open to everyone; whether or not you are competing in the Bardic War. Audience members are also welcome!"
Teacher: Katrina of Coventry. Class length: 2 hours. No restrictions.