[Northkeep] Your Medieval moment: "Drink thy blood, Beaumanoir, and thy thirst will pass!"

Niewoehner, Hugh Hugh.Niewoehner at flightsafety.com
Mon Mar 27 05:32:31 PDT 2023

So says Geoffroy of Bouays in the midst of a 14th century challenge that later became known as the Combat of the Thirty.

On the 27th day of March, 1351, during the midst of the turmoil of the Hundred Years War a noble Breton by the name of Robert de Beaumanoir, was near the town of Ploeremel, under the control of a German mercenary named Blandebourch, who had with him a number English, German, and Breton mercenaries.

When it became apparent to Beaumanoir that the garrison was not going to leave the safety of the town, he approached the gate and challenged Blandebourch to a combat with lances for the love of their ladies.

But Blandebourch said that the ladies would not approve of such a fight - for it would be over too quickly.  An old Breton lay gives his continued response as:

      T'were best, methinks, adjust our difference in this way
      By mortal combat in the field on some appointed day.
      Thirty 'gainst Thirty, an you list, together we will fight,
      Armed on all points, and on our steeds, - and Heaven defend the right!"

It was all very formal - they agreed upon a time and place, heard mass, exchanged polite greetings, then lay into each other with sword, axe and spear.  After a period of fierce combat and several on each side were slain, a pause was agreed to.

Wounded and weary, Beaumanoir asks for a drink.  But Geoffroy of Bouays gives the famous response: "Drink thy blood, Beaumanoir, and thy thirst will pass!"

Before long the combat began once more and blow after blow was struck.  Finally, after some time, Beaumanoir's "French" force had killed almost a third "English" side including Blandebourch himself, and wounded and captured every other man on that side.

The tale of this combat has been memorialized in story and song.  It has been carved in stone, sewn on tapestries, and painted on canvas.

      Siegneurs, knights, barons, bannerets, and bachelors I pray,
      Bishops and abbots, holy clerks, heralds and minstrels gay,
      Ye valiant men of all degrees, give ear unto my lay.
      Attend, I say and ye shall hear how Thirty Englishmen,
      As lions brave, did battle give to Bretons three times ten.
      And sith the story of this fight I shall tell faithfully,
      A hundred years hereafter it shall remembered be,
      And warriors hoar recount it then to children on the knee.

Let us Fight.  Let us Remember.  And let us Take Joy!

Thanks Ferd.

For a good source see Finnvar's site:
Combat of the Thirty according to the Amiens ms. version of Jean Froissart's Chronicles:
https://uts.nipissingu.ca/muhlberger/CHRONIQU/texts/thirty.htm