[Northkeep] UPDATE to the less than positive situation at wInterkingdom

Baroness of Northkeep baroness at northkeep.ansteorra.org
Sat Feb 10 10:26:58 PST 2024

It worked out! Thanks to the judicious application of TWO full bottles of
Febreze throughout the rest of the feast and site cleanup by Hari and Will,
the smell was significantly lessened by the time we left the site. There
was still a lingering hint of pot, but that evidently dissipated before the
children were brought in for Sunday school. Will, Kiah, Mary, Lenora and I
went back directly after their Sunday church services, with permission, to
do more cleaning if necessary. There was some spot cleaning to do and
evidence that they had also been spraying air freshener but the nursery
suite was free of stank!

Thomas and Francesca graciously offered to scribe and illuminate the thank
you note, and did a beautiful job. When Perrin and Will met with the church
to turn in the keys, they gave the thank you ‘scroll’ and also an
explanation of what we had discovered and how we dealt with it. They were
happy with how we handled it, will be pleased to rent to us again, and we
even got our cleaning deposit back!

Thank you all for your thoughts and concerns, and thank you again to all
who helped remedy this unexpected situation.

I would like to point out that we don’t know that it was an attendee of our
event, as the church was also being used by another group that evening.
This is a church that hosts a lot of community groups in a very accessible
and populated area. I have gotten used to SCA events that are off the
beaten path, and we haven’t been thinking about gate security, or parking
lot security, for years. I think going forward, when we select a site we
should also be considering how easy it is for a non-attendee to just walk
in, so that we can put deterrents in place. Northkeep Baronial Guard, we
will look to you!
À votre service,
Jehanne de Montauban
Baroness of Northkeep