TENT - Re: materials

Wendy Freeman/Otte Wyllow at netscape.net
Thu Dec 30 10:02:50 PST 1999

On my current tent, I used 100 percent cotton twill (trigger-weight, but no
polyester & no treatment) and industrial-weight thread. I roll-hemmed the
edges to double-seal the seams. I had heard that 100% cotton will expand when
wet and contract when dry - allowing circulation in the heat, and protection
in the rain, so I tried it.  (B.T.W.  I was laughed at and ridiculed by many
for not water-proofing it.)

At last year's Lilies War (the War of the Cold Rains), I found that I had to
cover the beds with a light wool blanket, because it would "mist" for the
first few minutes.  The wool blanket caught the mist in its upper layer,
keeping my cotton covers underneath completely dry. After that initial mist,
my tent was waterproof, and we were dry and cozy.  No leaks at the seams, no
more misting. (My ridiculers were overcome with hypothermia, and many had to
go home early.  She who laughs last...)

As for the heat - it's hard to say.  My previous tent was
water/mildew/wind-proof - this one was definitely cooler!  But I also have an
air-gap at the top of my walls, so I'm not sure I can attribute it completely
to the fabric.

I did learn two negative lessons:
1.  Wash the cotton fabric TWICE in hot water before cutting/sewing - my 10-ft
poles are now 9-ft, and my ridgepole is very snug.
2. And do not let it lay wet - I have mildew spots (sigh...)

I can't help you with locating fabrics - I just arrived here myself.  But my
local Wal-Mart had some beautiful purple cotton twill for $3/yd last week.

--Lady Wyllow of the Loch