[PE - RE: Grommet failure]

Wendy Freeman/Otte wyllow at netscape.net
Thu Feb 10 15:02:08 PST 2000

Oh...I obviously forgot to mention the following in the grommet incident:

- The tent had been condemned after a tornado hit it.
- It had been stored, wet, on the floor of a basement for 5 years before I
claimed it as a newcomer.  It had amazing mildew/water-proof fabric, so I
wiped it down, replaced a few seams where the thread had rotted, and built new
poles (they had rotted through) in the first year.
- I had just spent the last 6 months reinforcing the weaker seams & replacing
the old/lost grommets. (This being the main reason I never want to see a
grommet again!) I had reinforced all the grommets I replaced with strong
triangular pieces of black cotton twill.  They were tight, the cloth was thick
enough, etc...
- A Lilies War wind took it down.  5 grommets ripped out in one blow - and I
was not about to spend another 6 months putting them back in!

I gave Big Red away to a good, loving home (it was a faithful tent that had
served me well for 3 years) and built my own grommetless tent.  It's what you
are willing to work with that matters.

But keep the "grommet-reinforcing" hints coming for those that want to use
them - they sound great.  Any documentation on grommets in medieval tents?
Did they use the "ring & whipstitch" method (I tried it - not as easy as it
sounds!), or the "pound together" method we use mundanely?

--Wyllow