PE - Period Grommets?

Tanya Guptill tguptill at teleport.com
Thu Feb 10 16:17:26 PST 2000

Wyllow wrote:

> Any documentation on grommets in medieval tents?
> Did they use the "ring & whipstitch" method (I tried it - not as easy as it
> sounds!), or the "pound together" method we use mundanely?

A great question!--and one I am still pondering.  My only evidence for grommets, besides the
paintings of ropes emerging from holes that have a ring that is a different color than the
fabric, is this:

--part of a very late period Roman (late period for Rome, that is) tent, which has a grommet
type fastener on it
--an intriguing discussion on grommets in period sails.  The contributor had evidence that the
period sails used a ring of bone, then the whipstitch method to nearly cover the ring with
thread, then snip out any remaining center.  Unfortunately, I don't have his sources on this,
but I thought it was interesting.

It might be worth seeing whether metal grommets were used in period armor, to see if they
existed during our time period.

Mira