PE - RE: Grommet failure

John LaTorre jlatorre at midtown.net
Mon Feb 14 09:54:13 PST 2000

I wrote Peter Barclay about how to condition leather, and he asked that I post it
on the list. I told him:

Well, I've just used whatever the shoe stores sell for conditioning boots and shoes
... Snow Seal, "mink oil" (which I hope doesn't really come from minks), neatsfoot
oil, and the like. I doubt there's very much difference between the lot. To avoid
staining the canvas, just don't get carried away with the application -- just use
enough that the treatment is absorbed, then wipe the rest off. If it's sandwiched
between layers of canvas, I think you're pretty much stuck with saturating the area
with the treatment, to assure that the oil or whatever is really getting to the
leather. But smile and think how "period" your tent looks.

And off to Estrella I go. I hope to see some of you there.

John LaTorre (Johann von Drachenfels)

"Always do right. It will gratify some people & astonish the rest."
--Mark Twain