TENT - Save your pennies

Tanya Guptill tguptill at teleport.com
Mon Jan 3 12:05:49 PST 2000

Hello, my fellow tentmakers! :)

Hope everyone had wonderful holidays, and that the new year brings you great
joy, good health, and cheap canvas...

Okay, I've gone totally beserk and decided I had to have the book we discussed,
Rhodes Godfrey, Major: Tents & Tent-Life, From The Earliest Ages To The
                Present Time. To Which Is Added The PracticeOf Encamping An Army
In The
                Ancient & Modern Times.
Take a look at the table of contents and you can see why I'm interested:

> [...]
>         PERSIAN -The Eelauts, Kurds, and Lurs; Morier's description, and
> Francklin's-Nadir Shah's Tent
>         HINDUSTAN -Colonel Tod on the Rajpoots and the IndoScythic tribes-The
> Lescar, or Imperial     camp-An chief's camp
> MANTCHOW TATARS - Gerbillon's account
> CALMUC TATARS
> THE TUSKI, by Lieut. Hooper
> THE SAMOYEDES - Erman's description of the people and their dwellings
> THE OSTYAKS - Country and habits as described by Erman and others
> CALMUC TATARS AND NOMADE RACES IN CHINA, viz.-Mongous-Khalkas, &c-The
> Emperor's encampment in 1688, from Gerbillon-Military Tents of the Chinese
> 1122B.C. and A.D.1692
> THE BURAETS -Their Tents, with notice of their religious belief and the ark
> or altar
> TURKISH TENTS, from Knolles; also in Asia Minor, from Fontanier
>         Magnificent tents of the Sultan
>         Modern, by the author
> TENTS OF MALAY PEOPLE, AND HUTS OF THE ANDAMANERS
> AFRICA -Abyssinian encampment-Tentsof Arabs in Upper Egypt-On the Lower
> Nile from Denon-A Cairo Tent described by Dr.Stewart-The wandering tribes
> in Tripoli and their tents, by pacho and others-Nomade Moors on the Senegal
> and Niger-People of central Africa and their tents, by Barth-Arabs in
> Morocco and fez-People of Upper Egypt and their dwellings, from Werne's
> 'Wanderings'-Moveable huts of the Hottentots
> AMERICA -The Esquimaux-The North American Indians and their wigwams-Indian
> huts of South America, from Humboldt's 'Researches' and Proctor's 'Journey
> across the Cordilleras'
> SOUTH ATLANTIC ISLANDS AND AUSTRALASIA, viz.-Tierra del Fuego and
> Aborigines of North Australia
> EUROPEAN TENTS -Aborigines and Saxon camp of Edward ll.-Richard ll., &c.,
> from Froissart-HenryVlll's Tent, from Harleian MSS. and Strutt-Tents of the
> nineteenth century-Army Tents of present day
> LAPLAND TENTS, described by Von Buch
> FRENCH TENTS -The Burgundians, A.D.1393 and 1476-Infantryand Cavalry Tents
> of 1753-6 - Military Tents now in use
> AUSTRIAN TENTS -the old and those of present day
> PRUSSIAN MILITARY TENTS used during the Continental wars prior to 1815
> SWEDISH TENTS
> ENGLISH TENTS of recent introduction
> THE AUTHOR'S TENTS described, and the specification of the patent; together
> with the mode of pitching, striking, and packing them, and their respective
> weights
> ON THE METHODS OF ENCAMPING AN ARMY IN ANCIENT AND MODERN TIMES, viz., by
> the Romans and greeks; also the general custom of the East-The regulations
> for the British army as laid down in 1686-The Duke of York's orders in
> 1799-On Castrametaion, from the 'Aide Memoire' -The regulations issued on
> the Quartermaster-general in 1853 - Dr. Jackson on the Sanitary Condition
> of camps, 1845-Baron Larrey's Sanitary Report on the camp at Chalons, 1858
>
> Hope this helps. We wait to hear from you.

When I receive it, I will put a note out asking if anyone wants photocopies of
certain chapters, and will send them to you at cost.

Mira