TENT - Re: [Fwd: byzantine tents]

Stephen Wyley stephenw-hrt at nmit.vic.edu.au
Tue Jan 4 16:07:32 PST 2000

Hi Magnus,

Re: Maurice’s Strategikon.

Page 13. “Each squad should have a tent, as well as sickles
and axes to meet any contingency. It is well to have the tents of the Avar type,
which combine practicality with good appearance. 7”

“7 The Avar tents were round and roomy.”

> I believe that there is a bit in Maurice's Strategikon that suggests using
> the tents of the "Avars", which I had always assumed to be a ger.  It has
> been a long while though since I examined the passage however.
>
> -Mikhail
>
> --
>          Michael Straatmann  -  mcs at unlserve.unl.edu

BTW, I have been working on the Alexander Romances (lots of bell and
wedge tents).

And Peter Raftos has sent me another version of the Byzantine Bird
Catcher tents ( 11th century but this one is a wall tent with a
wooden frame unlike the bell tents).

Bye for now,

Stephen Francis Wyley
stephenw-hrt at nmit.vic.edu.au
Technical Officer
(Plant Tissue Culture, Chemistry and Soil Science)
Conservation and Applied Science Department, NMIT

For "Historical" and "How to" articles by me see;

http://www.geocities.com/svenskildbiter/index.html

or for Arrows made to order;

http://svenskildbiter.webjump.com/order.html