TENT - Re: new to tent making

Stephen Wyley stephenw-hrt at nmit.vic.edu.au
Fri Jan 14 12:26:46 PST 2000

Hi Andri,

> I'm new to tent making, and even newer to this list 8o)  Please forgive me if I'm rehashing
 an old subject.

Dumb questions are better than dumb mistakes.

> I've been researching for my first tent, and have become intrigued by the lopsided wagon
 wheel idea.  I have found only one refrence to such a design being used in period and was
 wondering if somone
> here could point me at additional references?

Can you please clearify what you mean by "lopsided wagon wheel"? If
you are referring to the wooden framed internal support structure,
there is no historical accuracy to it.

> Also would such a design require a rim hoop, or could it be done correctly without it?
>
> Would guy lines be necessary?

Other than yurts (and other similar tents) most tents were simply
held up by the action of the main pole(s), the material and the guy
ropes and pegs. The use of internal support structures are
un-necessary.

> Another item I'm looking for is detailed drawings of door fastenings.

Nothing comes to mined sorry.

On my bell tent the door flap overlap and the pegs in the corner of
each door flap is used to peg the door way open or closed.

I will attempt to go through my notes and get back to you.

Bye for now,

Stephen Francis Wyley
stephenw-hrt at nmit.vic.edu.au
Technical Officer
(Plant Tissue Culture, Chemistry and Soil Science)
Conservation and Applied Science Department, NMIT

For "Historical" and "How to" articles by me see;

http://www.geocities.com/svenskildbiter/index.html

or for Arrows made to order;

http://svenskildbiter.webjump.com/order.html